For the purposes of this treatise, Paradigm Shifting Operations (PSOs) are defined as extremely large-scale hybrid-type operations which involve elements of covert action, psychological warfare, propaganda, indoctrination, social engineering, sociocultural warfare, and psychological terrorism. The primary objective of these types of operations is the permanent and irreversible shift of societies from one paradigm of sociopolitical functioning to a drastically different one. While social engineering and smaller scale psychological warfare may also serve the ends of shifting social paradigms, PSOs are distinct not only in the scale of the operation but in their sudden onset and the accelerated pace of social transformation. The scale and speed of shifting paradigms which produce drastic results within the span of months to years is primarily what differentiates these operations from regular social engineering operations which are conducted over the course of decades.
At the core of a PSO is a major crisis which is presented to the public as arising in a spontaneous and unforeseen manner but in truth is contrived and engineered. This crisis is used as the pretext for radical sociopolitical changes which would have been considered unacceptable by the general public in the absence of an emergency situation. The general strategy of an operation involves making audiences feel acutely threatened by what is falsely presented as an existential threat, driving the citizenry into states of extreme fear and irrational hysteria, and propagandizing the masses into an uncritical acceptance of extreme emergency measures.
The emergency measures themselves are portrayed as being reasonable and necessary in order to address the crisis but in truth are designed to increase totalitarian control over societies and further the operation’s core agendas. Despite repeated reassurances to the public that the measures which are being taken to combat the crisis are temporary, they are in truth permanent and are expanded upon during the course of the operation as societies adapt to newer more oppressive paradigms of sociopolitical functioning. At the resolution of the active phase of such operations the targeted societies find themselves in a dramatically different world than what they had previously known with novel radical deformations of the social contract. In this sense, the ultimate intention of a PSO is the irreversible malignant transformation of societies from previously liberated states to totalitarian sociopolitical models.
The nature of the inciting crisis of a PSO can vary significantly but certain key features are shared across these types of operations:
- The crisis is engineered and controlled. Outwardly the crisis is portrayed as being genuine, independent, and having caught governmental authorities unprepared. In truth the ruling establishment and governmental authorities remain fully in control throughout the life cycle of the operation and are never truly destabilized by the artificial crisis situation they themselves have engineered.
- The perception of the crisis by the masses is far more important than the actual crisis itself.
- Innocent people are inevitably harmed by the crisis and/or the responses to it. Though contrived, the crisis often has very real detrimental (and often catastrophic) effects on the lives of average people.
- The responses to the crisis is pre-planned, scripted, and the ruling establishment always wildly benefits from the contrived crisis. Other obvious sensible responses to the crisis are always ignored in favor of the predetermined courses of action which further the agendas of the ruling establishment.
- Great propaganda efforts are undertaken in order to control public perception, carefully guide the public’s reasoning, and aggressively engineer the desired endpoints of public opinion, attitudes, and understanding. This is necessary in order to avoid the public from losing confidence in authority figures, in order to avoid the public from reaching the correct conclusions, and in order to falsely portray that the totalitarian courses of action are the only options available.
The crisis itself is an artifice, carefully planned, engineered, and executed with media coverage of the crisis aimed at steering societies in the intended direction already established by the ruling establishment. The inciting crisis is not so much a hoax as it is a homicidal confidence trick in which the criminal elements who perpetrate the criminal act displace responsibility for the crisis while benefiting from the controlled responses to “combat” the crisis.
Prior to the initiation of a PSO, the coming crisis is often telegraphed to the masses by way of the mass media or high-profile individuals. Thus far, all PSOs have had simulations or drills simulating the exact crisis situation before the initiation of the operation. Once the crisis situation is initiated, the media is used to overwhelm audiences with propaganda and disinformation campaigns. Audiences are hyper-saturated with news coverage concerning the crisis situation with the subject becoming inescapable and all-pervasive. The great majority of the “news” itself is intentionally false and/or misleading with the sudden deluge of disinformation quickly inducing the public into states which can best be described as forms of mass delusion.
The majority of mass media coverage of the crisis is comprised of psychological terrorism campaigns and disinformation campaigns which are specifically designed to induce stress and evoke fear within audiences. Audiences are intentionally kept in a state of tension and apprehension consistently over a period of months to years. The states of elevated stress are aimed at psychologically wearing down the masses and inducing states of cognitive irrationality in which the public is willing to accept almost anything if they are made to believe it will end the crisis. Indeed, it is the specific intent of such operations to incite the masses into clamoring for any “solution” regardless of how tyrannical or totalitarian it may be simply to make the “crisis” stop.
At the conclusion of the active phase of these operations the crisis itself is not resolved as was promised but made to appear as being “controlled” with the perception of the crisis being temporarily toned down. The masses are not given the absolute psychological release from the terror they were forced to experience but rather are granted a temporary respite from their collective psychological anguish if the agendas of the operation have been successfully implemented. The inconclusive “resolution” of the active phase of these operations is the norm for two primary reasons: firstly, it is justification for the temporary measures to become permanent and secondly, reusing the same crisis may be needed at a future date in order to further more agendas or pursue new geopolitical goals. Quite often the masses are periodically spooked with the possibility of an old crisis reoccurring in order to keep the fear imprinted within their collective subconscious.
These operations are by design intended to increase the wealth, power, and totalitarian control of the ruling establishment at the cost of the general citizenry. This reality is painstakingly obfuscated through the aggressive use of psychological warfare and strategic censorship which ensures the citizenry does not comprehend in a timely manner the true nature of their economic and sociopolitical disenfranchisement. Due to the crisis situation the unreasonable actions by governments and the illogical excuses being proffered by government officials and media personalities are rarely scrutinized. In states of irrational fear, the masses readily and uncritically accept even the flimsiest of lies and fail to act on a timely basis in order to defend their civil rights and collective interests.
Another key defining feature of PSOs is their ability to further a large number of often disparate agendas simultaneously. The agendas of the ruling establishment are normally furthered at a relatively slow pace and often on an individual basis. Bundling of agendas does take place whenever possible if the agendas overlap sufficiently and can be effectively addressed in a single operation. During a PSO, many agendas are often furthered simultaneously in a highly aggressively manner which takes advantage of:
- The general climate of fear which induces a state of mass irrationality. This irrationality facilitates the acceptance of irrational non sequitur solutions for increasingly nonsensical crisis situations.
- The general state of confusion brought about by the “unforeseen” crisis and the public’s obsession with the crisis situation. The narrowed focus of the public allows government officials to quietly push agendas that are minimally understood and rarely scrutinized.
- The general acceptance by the masses of mendacious justifications given by authorities if these justifications promise the future safety and protection of the citizenry.
- The blitzkrieg of agendas overwhelms the capacity of the masses to organize an effective resistance to the agendas, denies activists the time necessary to mobilize the normal modes of legal and sociopolitical resistance, and overwhelms dissenting politicians stifling their ability to form an effective coalition aimed at combating the malignant sociopolitical transformation.
These features allow a nearly limitless bundling of wholly unrelated agendas during a single operation with generally favorable outcomes.
Due to the increasing use of this type of operation, the general strategies and methodologies involved in Paradigm Shifting Operations merit exploration as the use of this type of operation will likely be instrumental in the shaping of humanity in the 21st century.
Thematic motifs of Paradigm Shifting Operations
Strategy of Tension:
Perhaps the most prominent and distinctive feature of PSOs is the application of the strategy of tension and the extended campaign of psychological terror waged on the public. The strategy of tension is essentially the use of psychological terrorism and the maintenance of pathological chronic stress within the public over the course of months to years for the purpose of inducing seismic shifts in public sentiment and in order to crystallize public opinion at extreme endpoints. This strategy, more than any other functions as the catalyst for the malleability in human thought and behavior which in turn facilitates profound societal transformations. The success of these types of operations is directly related to the ability to induce and maintain states of fear for prolonged periods of time as social paradigms are shifted from their starting points towards distant endpoints.
Historically in its earliest beginnings, the strategy of tension was performed in conjunction with terrorist attacks which were themselves covert actions. These terrorist attacks were falsely blamed on rival political groups with the intention of eliminating their base of public support, engineering vehement hatred towards rival factions, and shifting public sentiment in favor of desired political ideologies and parties (who were often themselves the perpetrators of the covert action). The acts of physical terror were complemented with the extended use of psychological terror conducted on the public through the use of mass media. Mass media was understood early on to be essential in maintaining pathological states of fear as well as quintessential in the shaping of public opinion during these types of operations. The combination of fear and propaganda worked synergistically in their ability to shape public opinion and crystallize radical support for desired political groups.
The extreme successes of this strategy led to modifications in its formula in order to fit diverse operational parameters yet maintain its incredible effectiveness. Modifications to this strategy included the implementation of behavioral modification techniques, weaponized use of politics, weaponized use of education, and the incorporation of advances in psychological warfare techniques. The ability to radically shift social paradigms, induce political transformations, and maintain extreme sociopolitical configurations has led to the use of the strategy of tension in ever larger more ambitious operations.
At its functional core, the strategy of tension aims to induce stress over extended periods with the variable implementation of acute fear. This can range from chronic low levels of stress and tension over the course of decades to extreme bouts of terror and crippling fear over the course of months to years. The strategy may or may not be implemented with the use of an initial fear-inducing stimulus. In situations in which fear-inducing stimuli are employed (whether real or imagined) the perception of the fear-inducing stimulus is far more important than its actual potential to cause harm or the probability it will do so.
Often the use of the magical thinking technique is utilized to periodically add new “magical” harm potential to the perception of the stimulus. Doing so increases the perceived ability of the stimulus to cause harm and inflames the public’s concerns for personal safety. This is often done at periodic intervals in order to rekindle irrational fears and maintain the necessary states of tension. Furthermore, acute uses of psychological terror are used as needed when public opinion veers in unintended directions in order to bring them back to the desired thought processes and to dissipate any crystallization of public opinion at undesirable endpoints.
The primary utility of the strategy of tension is founded on its ability to:
- Erode and override the capacity for logical thinking and critical analysis.
- Erode psychological resistance to propaganda, manipulation, coercion, and/or threats. Wearing down psychological resistance has a direct correlation with reducing individual ideological resistance and collective sociopolitical resistance.
- Promote states of hyper-malleable delusions and induction into propaganda matrices.
- Induce malleability of thoughts and behavior. This is especially true if audiences believe that adjustments to their thinking and behavior are beneficial for their safety and survival. Even if audiences are unconvinced of the personal benefit to adjustments in thoughts and behaviors, the effects of chronic stress predispose to uncritical acceptance of information and mindless obedience.
- Induce a hybrid psychological state in which individuals are hyper-credulous, militant in their adherence to delusional beliefs, and hyper-obedient to authority. This psychological hybrid state is defined by variable states of cognitive haze, psychological discomfort, malleable irrationality, hyper-credulity, tendency towards ideological acquiescence, and uncritical obedience. In such states audiences are emotionally beaten down, militant in their obedience to authorities, and due to their psychological anguish clamor for release from their collective psychological distress.
- Radicalize thought, promote extreme irrational belief systems, and crystallize radical sociopolitical configurations.
- Promote uncritical and radical support for groups or agendas which are falsely understood to increase the probability of safety and protection. Audiences are greatly deceived and fail to grasp the nature of their collective manipulation. Quite often audiences are led into the paradigm of: their rights and liberties in exchange for promises of safety and security. No solution is deemed too radical, unnatural, extreme, or deleterious if it is in pursuit of some illusory safety.
- Demoralize audiences and obviate political resistance. The demoralization of audiences saps their motivation and (when combined with chronic stress and the experiences of fatigue, apathy, and depressive symptoms) greatly reduces the general impetus to engage in individual or organized resistance. Often chronic stress is enough to induce mass states of ennui and apathy which prevents nonconforming individuals from banding together and engaging in organized political resistance.
- Induce dynamics akin to those of Stockholm Syndrome. Most pronounced in the continued self-exposure to the psychological terrorism of the media and irrational positive emotions directed at abusive corrupt government officials. These inappropriate emotions are conducive to obedience and the continued acquiescence to the demands of authority figures.
Before the strategy of tension can be further explored it is necessary to understand the importance of stress as well as the implications of its weaponization.
The emotions of stress, fear, and terror are the function of the Sympathetic Nervous System (SNS) which serves a vital role in physiological control in addition to its functions in the fight or flight response. A full exploration of the SNS is beyond the scope of this treatise, however it is important to appreciate proper SNS activation and the necessity of the fight or flight response. Within the scope of proper activation, the SNS produces improvements in physical and mental performance, properly adjusts physiological processes, and appropriately adjusts psychological and behavioral patterns.
In natural environments, the experience of stress induces behavioral adjustments to mitigate the stressor and/or engage in avoidance behavior of the stressor. The discomfort of stress is aimed at strongly inducing necessary psychological and behavioral modifications with SNS activity returning to baseline upon the elimination of the offending stressor. In normal physiological function within natural settings this entails baseline SNS activity punctuated by spikes of SNS activation proportional to the seriousness of the stressor. More extreme activations of the SNS induce the fight or flight response primarily in situations requiring activation of the body for combat, a quick escape from danger, and/or extreme alterations of physiological function, psychological activity, and behavioral patterns for the purposes of self-preservation.
While SNS activity is a critical tool of physiological control and the instincts of survival, its pathological potential as a consequence of inappropriate activity is marked and significant. Rather than increase the chances of survival, pathological stress has the potential of inducing crippling dysfunction, irreversibly diminishing vitality, and severely compromising survival. In unnatural states with abnormal patterns of SNS activity, serious pathology and dysfunction quickly sets in. This can be due to pathological frequency of activation, degree of activation, baseline SNS activity, inappropriate activation, or some combination thereof. These pathological patterns of SNS activity are conducive to a wide range of psychological and physical problems which at their extreme are able to produce irreversible mental and physical deterioration, irreversible decreases in general vitality, and a marked shortening of the lifespan. The probability of developing secondary complications as well as their potential degree of seriousness is directly related to the chronicity and degree of pathological activation. If the pathological stress is severe and long enough complications are inescapable. It is important to appreciate that even if an individual is highly resistant to stress, experiencing chronic pathological stress will inevitably cause serious deterioration of physical and mental functions which are independent of perceived mood or emotional state.
This potential to harm is significant enough in unnatural states and for individuals experiencing pathological stress. Its potential to harm is even more serious when intentionally weaponized within the scope of psychological warfare operations. The intentional weaponization of stress and fear against the interests of audiences can have disastrous consequences on the psychological wellbeing, social interactions, and overall health of untold numbers of individuals. The general strategy of weaponized stress aims to artificially induce inappropriate SNS activity (artificial stress, fear, apprehension, and terror) and utilize techniques of psychological terrorism in order to compromise logic, induce malleable irrationality, increase susceptibility to other psychological warfare techniques, and psychologically incapacitate target audiences.
It is necessary to juxtapose natural environments with their weaponized counterparts. In a natural setting, experienced stress leads to appropriate actions to mitigate the stressor and either remove the stressor from one’s environment or remove oneself from the stressor’s environment. The discomfort experienced by the stressor promotes urgency of action which usually results in the prompt resolution of the situation and a return to an un-stressed state. In the weaponized counterpart, audiences are unnaturally chronically stressed and flooded with incessant allusions to a stressor (usually imaginary or egregiously misrepresented) which they are unable to directly address. Their environments are hyper-saturated with propaganda which becomes all-pervasive and inescapable thus forcing a constant acknowledgment of the stress-inducing stimulus. The constant forced acknowledgement of the stressor and perceived inability to effectively combat or flee the stressor causes audiences to experience unnatural aggravated chronic stress. The chronic pathological stress causes predictable adverse effects many of which are specifically desired.
In a natural setting, a stressor of significant potency (fear-inducing stimulus) induces fear, apprehension, or terror and activates either a fight instinct directed at the stimulus or a flight instinct. The individual’s logic is normally overridden in favor of immediate instinctual behavioral patterns. These extreme behavioral instincts usually result in extremely quick resolutions of the situation with a delayed return to an un-stressed state. Furthermore, neurological processes are activated which strongly induce learning and promote negative emotions associated with the fear-inducing stimulus. These psychological changes result in appropriate behavioral modifications which confer a future benefit in terms of survival and wellbeing. In the weaponized counterpart, audiences are mercilessly psychologically terrorized and their environments hyper-saturated with propaganda designed to provoke extreme fear and induce irrational terror. Audiences perceive themselves as being in constant danger, unable to fully protect themselves, and are unable to destroy, eradicate, or flee the fear-inducing stimulus. The natural instinct is mercilessly activated repeatedly which causes profound irrationality, emotional lability, pathological outbursts of emotion, general combativeness, hostile behavior, and induces pathological learning processes.
This weaponization of fear is further complemented by the prior indoctrination of audiences who have been trained to perceive “terrorists” in an egregiously cartoonish and fallacious manner wholly divorced from the actual application of physical terrorism in covert action or psychological terrorism in psychological operations. Their fallacious understanding of terrorism prevents them from fully appreciating when they themselves are the victims of psychological terrorism via the mass media and thus prevents them from developing appropriate and natural responses to the psychological aggression directed at them.
Terrorists of the psychological variety within the propaganda apparatus are able to remain effective specifically due to the continued public perception of professionalism, truthfulness, and honest intent. The inability of audiences to fully grasp that they are being psychologically aggressed and deceived leads to patterns of repeated self-exposure to egregious deception and psychological abuse. Even if audiences are able to acknowledge that they are being generally deceived and psychologically aggressed, at a subconscious level they fear situational uncertainty and falsely believe that continued exposure to “news updates” concerning the fear-inducing stimulus is advantageous to their survival. The natural instinct to stay informed of anything which has the potential to cause personal harm or compromise survival is egregiously abused to keep audiences in patterns of repeated self-exposure to psychological terrorism and disinformation campaigns.
In situations in which audiences are able to properly perceive the campaign of psychological aggression being waged upon them and thus are able to unequivocally grasp the nature of the attempts at their collective manipulation, their perception of the psychological terrorists, whether they be media presenters, journalists, public officials, etc., is shaped accordingly. In such situations, further attempts at inducing additional stress and terror are likely to be met with psychological hostility and obstinate resistance directed at the propagandists and the agendas of an operations. Rather than undeserved esteem, propagandists quickly incur ignominy and the wrath of the public. Under such circumstances the repeated attempts to use psychological terror to provoke irrationality becomes increasingly ineffective with public ire increasingly being appropriately channeled at their abusers. Public perception begins to crystallize in opposition to the agendas of the fear campaign and unshakable negative emotions develop towards the agents of their collective abuse. Great efforts are taken to avoid this eventuality.
Furthermore, it is important to appreciate the actual harm wrought by the use of psychological terrorism and the weaponization of chronic stress. At the level of the individual, psychological terrorism’s potential to harm includes serious deterioration in general health, irreversible neurological and physical deterioration, induction into serious and crippling psychopathologies, promoting states of helplessness and defenselessness, inducing social dysfunction, promoting self-destructive behavior, and increasing the predisposition to suicide. At the level of society psychological terrorism’s potential to harm includes the breakdown of normal social dynamics, epidemic levels of psychopathology, general increases in mortality, extreme social dysfunction, interpersonal hostility and belligerence, the creation of deep social rifts and longstanding hostilities, mass violence, mass casualties resulting from intercommunal violence, the generalized breakdown of society, and the outright collapse of a society. Further exploration into the use of the strategy of tension and psychological terrorism benefits from an appreciation of the of the heinous nature of psychological terrorism and the malice of its practitioners.
It is important to appreciate the strategy of tension’s effects at varying levels of human functioning with a special emphasis on its specific application during a PSO.
At the level of the individual functioning the strategy serves to:
- Shift psychological functioning violently into a survivalist mode (fight or flight mode) in which survival and protection is paramount. In this psychological state, the hierarchy of psychological values is re-oriented with safety, survival, and welfare becoming the priority. Behavioral patterns are quickly adjusted in service of personal protection and the safeguarding of loved ones. The only meaningful language accepted by individuals in this psychological state is that which concerns itself with safety and protection. The language of propaganda is specifically tailored to take full advantage of this psychological state with the intentional usage of language which aims to manipulate subconscious fears and desires for safety. Reasoning and language that does not concern itself with safety and protection is generally ignored by audiences in this psychological state regardless of its veracity or critical importance.
- Strongly promotes emotionally-charged irrationality and “emotional reasoning” which is generally directed towards the pursuit of safety and protection (especially in those unaccustomed to the level of fear/stress or who have poor emotional control). The extremely brief irrationality and strong emotions induced by fear-inducing stimuli within natural settings is used on a chronic basis to promote prolonged states of irrationality and emotionally-driven thought processes. The emotional irrationality is generally blind in its discernment and obsessive in its pursuit of perceived “safety.” In this state, audiences are overly emotional, incorrigibly irrational, and often exhibit severe limitations in their ability to reason. These features greatly assist in the manipulation of audiences and increases the overall effectiveness of propaganda.
- Promotes emotional lability and emotional incontinence (especially in those unaccustomed to the level of fear/stress or who have poor emotional control). The continued harassment of audiences with the threats of a fear-inducing stimuli is conducive to poor emotional control, inappropriate outpouring of emotion, and the misdirection of emotions. The emotional manipulation of audiences is simplified and emotions can be artificially channeled as desired through the use of propaganda.
- Promotes interpersonal strife, irrational hostility, belligerence, and/or violence (especially if someone is perceived to be a danger to oneself or is perceived to be an impediment to personal safety and survival). The fight instinct triggered by fear-inducing stimuli (which would naturally be activated for extremely short periods of time) is unnaturally provoked for extended periods of time. As audiences find themselves unable to direct hostility and violence towards the offending stimulus, they are liable to misdirect aggression and hostility towards those in their immediate vicinity and anyone who they perceive as a threat to personal safety. Propaganda is often used to direct instinctual aggression towards ideological nonconformists.
- Promotes narrowed concentration and obsessive ideation. The perceived inability to remove the offending stimulus from the audience’s environment promotes preoccupations, obsessive thoughts, and a narrowing of the field of concentration directed at the stimulus. The overall scope of perception is constricted and the ability for general critical analysis is compromised. Audiences are often unable to make simple deductions or grasp the implications of important developments and worrying trends as a consequence of their narrowed cognitive abilities. Psychological warfare is used to keep audiences engrossed on aspects of fear-inducing stimuli and away from explorations of the unfolding sociopolitical transformations.
- Promotes a malleable cognitive haze with features of logical impairment and a diminished ability to mount psychological resistance. The effects of chronic stress work to produce a demoralized state and depressive symptoms. Furthermore, chronic stress works synergistically with fear-induced irrationality to severely impair logical reasoning and critical thinking. The chronic stress experienced by audiences induces fatigue, apathy, difficulty concentrating, cognitive turbidity, impairments in logical and critical thinking, and impairments in general mental faculties. In such impaired states, audiences are liable to engage in uncritical acceptance of information, be induced into irrational belief systems, and engage in mindless obedience.
- Promotes psychological states akin to Stockholm Syndrome with features of mixed emotional states. The feelings of apprehension and dread caused by chronic stress and intermittent fear are normally mitigated and managed based on an individual’s innate coping mechanisms. However, propaganda takes advantage of the individual’s acute need to reduce stress by using tactics of intermittently soothing audiences via evoking inappropriate artificial positive emotions and sentiments directed towards governmental authority, acts of obedience, and the agendas of PSOs. The inducement of inappropriate positive emotions works at the subconscious level to inhibit criticisms of abusive governmental authority and hostility towards the unnatural sociopolitical transformations. Furthermore, artificially induced positive emotions function to coalesce support for governmental authority, create a false sense of “unity” against the “crisis,” and rally support for malicious agendas that are falsely claimed to be necessary for “public safety.” The net effect are patterns of thought and behavior similar to Stockholm Syndrome.
At the level of the individual the strategy works to skillfully manipulate innate instincts and natural responses against the mind of the individual and in service of agendas that are not in their best interests. Several factors at the individual level determine the potential effectiveness of the strategy which includes the individual’s:
- General intelligence and developed capacity for logical reasoning
- Capacity for emotional control and regulation
- Instinctual predispositions to being stressed
- Coping mechanisms
- The quality and integrity of their social network
Depending on these factors the strategy of tension is variably effective though the prolonged states of stress and the use of psychological aggression in psychological warfare is intended to eventually wear down even the most resilient of individuals. The full capabilities of the propaganda apparatus are mobilized to flood audiences with incessant allusions to the fear-inducing stimulus thereby artificially maintaining them in stressed states. Furthermore, the techniques of propaganda inserts and micro-propaganda are utilized to great effect to create digital and physical environments hyper-saturated with reminders of the fear-inducing stimulus which work to reinforce acceptance of the disinformation campaigns.
Much of the strategy of tension attempts to work at the level of the subconscious thereby bypassing conscious logical processes and critical thinking. Psychological warfare during PSOs utilizes propaganda techniques such the use of distressing images, ominous music or sounds, shrill voices by media presenters, alarming language, inflammatory disinformation, etcetera to affect individuals at a subconscious level and induce a primitive level of psychological functioning. Even if an individual attempts to mount psychological resistance to the psychological warfare, the use of these techniques often is able to elevate stress levels in a manner independent of conscious control. Distressing language and images are usually able to raise baseline stress levels even in individuals with highly developed emotional control and accustomed to high levels of stress.
For individuals with underdeveloped critical thinking, low intelligence, and/or underdeveloped control over stress responses, cognitive processes are readily and uncritically shifted into a survivalist mode which quickly becomes entrenched during the course of a PSO. This survivalist mode remains so long as the media wages its campaign of psychological terrorism with individuals gradually returning to normal psychological states upon the cessation of these campaigns. Within this primitive mode of psychological functioning, individuals can exhibit an obstinate acceptance of perceived dangers (even if the danger is fantastical and illogical), uncritical acceptance of obscene disinformation, and mindless acquiescence and militant obedience to governmental authority. The acceptance of official narratives can achieve a status akin to the zealous adherence to religious dogma with individuals displaying hostility toward heretics of the official narratives. Individuals within this mode are often highly resistant to logic, unwilling to accept truthful information which counters the official narratives, and exhibit an unwillingness to engage in self-directed critical thinking. The induction of the public into differing degrees of survivalist mode blinds audiences to the role of governments in the central crises of PSOs. Individuals are also increasingly willing to accept overtly inappropriate government actions hostile to their interests so long as they are performed under the guise of their “safety” and “protection.”
The hostility and belligerence that results from chronically stressed states and the impulses of the fight instinct must be properly managed and directed during the course of a PSO. States of stress predisposes to general combativeness which can find any number of outlets if left unguided. During the strategy of tension this can include aggressive impulses and hostility directed towards governmental authority which can compromise support for government policies and the agendas of a PSO. Great efforts are taken to prevent crystallization of opinion against governmental authority or in opposition to the agendas that are being implemented. This is especially necessary given the egregiousness of governmental malfeasance, the inappropriateness of government actions, and the damaging extent of the agendas to public interests. All of these factors would naturally channel the aggression of the public accordingly if left unchecked. The public’s wrath and general belligerence is guided away from governmental authority and is channeled externally towards foreign “enemies,” at useful scapegoats, at ideological nonconformists, or other miscellaneous targets of convenience.
Furthermore, the general psychological dysphoria and discomfort of audiences is intermittently soothed by propaganda tactics aimed at artificially inducing good feelings usually directed at governmental authority, at acts of obedience by citizens, and at the agendas that are being implemented. This tactic intentionally aims to induce a Stockholm Syndrome-type relationship with governmental authority. The propaganda tactic of “heroes of the crisis” is often employed in order promote positive emotions directed towards governmental authority, government personnel, and miscellaneous personnel combating the crisis on behalf of the public. This serves to distract audiences away from governmental criminality, induce inappropriate goodwill for misbehaving governments, and inhibit hostility directed towards government policies.
In cases in which hostility begins to be directed at the government or its personnel, propaganda pieces are spread widely showing the consequences of noncompliance to government authoritarianism. This can be in the form of political persecution, politically-motivated arrests, acts of physical violence by police on nonconformists, etcetera. Audiences are generally made aware of patterns of police brutality and impunity which inhibits ideological resistance to authoritarianism, preempts physical resistance by the citizenry, and discourages efforts by the masses to rise up and stop the persecution of nonconformists. At the level of individual psychology this works as a “whipping boy technique” in which watching media of others being unjustly persecuted for noncompliance serves to demoralize audiences and inhibit potential resistance. This technique can be performed both by staged incidences as well as the intentional publication of real incidences of political persecution. Real incidences of authoritarian injustices which would normally be suppressed can be publicized by mainstream propaganda outlets or intentionally made to go “viral” thereby stoking fear of the government’s criminal use of force and increasing the public’s compliance to authoritarian mandates. The combination of the effects of chronic stress, demoralization, and the use of the whipping boy technique work synergistically to preempt political resistance and increase audiences’ compliance.
The only meaningful long-term strategy individuals can utilize to defend their equanimity and remain fully sovereign of their conscious and subconscious thought processes is to strictly practice psychological hygiene. For the purposes of this treatise psychological hygiene is understood to be the strict control of one’s personal environment, media consumption, social interactions, and behavioral patterns in an effort to limit exposure to propaganda and pernicious psychological warfare campaigns. Doing so allows individuals to retain their psychological and ideological sovereignty and preserves their capacity to engage in natural self-directed thought processes. Doing so also greatly assists in maintaining normal emotional states and confers immunity to artificially induced pathological stress during campaigns of psychological terror.
At the level of interpersonal dynamics the strategy of tension serves to:
- Decrease prosocial dynamics especially those necessary in crisis situations and for the safeguarding of collective interests. The unnatural, artificial, and disproportional aggravated stress and fear subvert appropriate instinctual social behaviors and induce pathological and dysfunctional interpersonal dynamics. This dysfunctional behavior is further compounded by social engineering and propaganda efforts specifically aimed at undermining appropriate instinctual social drives and promoting interpersonal dysfunction.
- Foment interpersonal tension and hostility. The mass states of chronic stress and aggravated fear function to foment hostility, belligerence and combativeness that finds variable (usually inappropriate) outlets. Propaganda is employed as needed to ensure that the induced states of mass aggression are not directed at governmental authority or its personnel.
- Promotes hostility towards skeptics and nonconformists. The natural human instinct is to deal with any potential danger or crisis situations that may arise with the utmost seriousness. There are very specific sets of social drives and instincts activated during these events. The appropriate instinctual social dynamics which are artificially induced during a PSO are further weaponized through the use of psychological warfare specifically against nonconformists and the nonbelievers of official narratives. This weaponization of social dynamics promotes hostility and aggression towards nonconformity, unnatural militant ideological and behavioral conformity amongst the propagandized, and has the potential of inducing serious detrimental social consequences for nonconforming individuals.
- Induce inappropriate and irrational ill-will towards scapegoats. The mass states of aggression are managed by the channeling of aggressive impulses and negative emotions towards convenient scapegoats. The nature of the scapegoats can vary significantly, however propaganda is utilized to carefully manage aggression and hostility and when needed channel these impulses at scapegoats (who most often are wholly blameless). Furthermore, the use of this technique functions to create subconscious sentiments of being “united” in hatred towards scapegoats and steers audiences’ conscious attention away from government criminality and the inappropriateness of the actions taken during the crisis situation.
- Induce a disunited “unity.” Promote a mixed state of disunity and pseudo-unity in which social dynamics cannot be effectively mobilized for the purposes of safe-guarding individual or collective interests yet a subconscious sentiment of “unity” is artificially engineered which coalesces around governmental authority and obedience to government dictates.
It is necessary to explore stress reactions as it concerns natural social instincts and behaviors.
In natural settings, social species react to stress within settings of danger by instinctual cooperative dynamics, prosocial behavior, and protective behaviors directed at vulnerable members of the social group. Individual behavior combined with that of other members of a social group results in appropriate setting-specific behaviors which quickly and effectively deal with the stressor. There are a great many factors which determine individual actions, the hierarchy of values in extreme situations, and the net sum of behaviors a specific group displays under stressed situations. A full exploration of these behavioral dynamics is beyond the scope of this treatise. However, it must be appreciated that appropriate stress reactions are greatly influenced by potent ingrained prosocial and cooperative instincts. Individuals may factor in individual wellbeing and survival as it concerns their behavior, but within social species individual survival is generally a function of group survival and their instinctual behaviors reflects this fact. Under normal uncomplicated situations the highly-evolved natural instincts promote prosocial cooperation in critical situations which threaten individual or collective wellbeing.
Modern context is necessary as it concerns the contemporary application of the strategy of tension in PSOs. Social engineering and sociocultural warfare trends of the last few decades have attempted to significantly erode healthy social dynamics, community solidarity, the integrity of individual psychology, and the integrity of prosocial instincts. A truly meaningful exploration of these trends requires a dedicated treatise of its own, however it must be appreciated that:
- Psychopathology has been strongly promoted at the individual level.
- Anti-virtues and antisocial paradigms have been strongly promoted.
- Community bonds have been severely frayed and eroded.
- Prosocial dynamics have been intentionally blunted.
- Audiences have been propagandized and socially engineered with unnatural “anti-instincts.”
These “anti-instincts” are essentially artificial anti-cooperation instincts and “social cannibalistic” patterns of behavior which are liable to arise when individuals are sufficiently stressed and which override normal prosocial instinctual drives. Sufficiently propagandized individuals can display extreme selfishness, short-sightedness, and unnatural disadvantageous behaviors when sufficiently stressed especially in crisis situations. All these factors play a significant role in contemporary interpersonal and social dynamics and are especially relevant as it concerns the application of the strategy of tension.
In natural environments, stressed individuals focus intently on the stressor, analyze the situation exceedingly quickly at a conscious and subconscious level, exhibit strong prosocial behavioral dynamics, cooperate in an instinctive and uncomplicated manner, and experience euphoric feelings directly related to engaging in prosocial dynamics. The feelings of stress are counteracted at a neurophysiological level by processes which promote rapport and camaraderie with other individuals who are cooperative during the stressful situation. These emotional connections can lead to the creation of extremely deep social bonds between individuals who cooperate repeatedly during crisis situations. The experienced stress reaction is proportional to the nature of the stressor or fear-inducing stimulus and generally does not incapacitate individuals or interfere with prosocial dynamics. Group wellbeing is optimized, detrimental effects are mitigated, and individuals are often willing to perform extreme acts of self-sacrifice as required for collective defense and the wellbeing of the social group.
In their weaponized counterparts, the perception of the stressor is wholly divorced from reality and intentionally manipulated so as to maximize the stress reactions and attempt to elevate them to pathological levels of irrational fear and hysteria. The artificially induced stress reactions are intentionally egregious and disproportional to the nature of the stressor and are intended to incapacitate individuals and promote dysfunctional dynamics. This psychological terrorism combined with socially engineered antisocial instincts, unmitigated personal psychopathology, and additional psychological warfare tactics produces:
- Acute aggravations of individual psychopathology.
- Selfish antisocial behavior.
- Interpersonal hostility and belligerence.
- The perception of others as sources of potential danger or competitors for survival.
- Highly dysfunctional dynamics which are ultimately detrimental to individual and collective wellbeing.
Rather than the formation of strong social bonds during crisis situations, the poor state of communal bonds combined with the use of psychological warfare during the crisis situation serves to induce extreme interpersonal hostility, precipitate acts of violence, and engineer enmity and long-lasting social divisions. Group wellbeing is severely compromised, detrimental effects are amplified scales of magnitude greater than in their natural counterparts, and individuals fail to effectively unite or cooperate for the purposes of safeguarding their collective interests. Governmental authority is thus able to impose its will on a divided citizenry during crisis situations without incurring public resistance as the neurotic disunited masses are unable to function in a manner other than how they are instructed to do so.
As part of the natural instincts innate to social species, it is expected that other members of a social group who are present during an emergency do their utmost to address any danger that might arise and act in a prosocial manner which contributes to the collective wellbeing. Within natural settings individuals are expected to alert the group to potential dangers and safeguard the wellbeing of others. Individuals who act with indifference to danger, who act in a selfish manner during crisis situations (especially if it interferes with the survival of others), or who do not contribute to prosocial efforts to safeguard collective wellbeing can face serious social repercussions for lapses in appropriate behavior. The social repercussions are aimed at forcing the individual to reform and ensure that they never again compromise the collective wellbeing.
In the weaponized counterparts, the perception of danger is controlled by governmental authorities and the international propaganda apparatus which promotes a mendacious “official narrative” which egregiously misrepresents the danger of the crisis. The acute fear provoked by the official deceptions are further stoked by psychological warfare campaigns conducted on audiences via mass media. Audiences are encouraged into zealous irrational acceptance of official narratives and goaded into harassing and ostracizing nonconformists and nonbelievers. Inevitably, there will be perceptive individuals who correctly identity serious undeniable problems with the official narratives and who are alarmed by government actions during the “crisis” situations. If such individuals attempt to alert others and perform the natural and appropriate behaviors of voicing concerns and alerting other members of their social group, they often find themselves facing unnatural neurotic hostility, social pressure to believe official narratives, and are liable to face serious social ostracism if they persist in voicing their concerns. As a consequence, the prosocial instincts to properly inform other individuals of critically important information and attempt to mobilize social efforts for the safeguarding of collective interests is thwarted. The natural instincts of social species are weaponized against the interests of the group and in a manner conducive to the establishment of totalitarian ideological control.
The net effect of these dynamics is to induce severely dysfunctional social dynamics and a state of disunited pseudo-unity. In such a state, individuals are not able to rally their collective efforts for the appropriate defense of their interests and instead work against their collective interests and the interests of other members of their community. However, they simultaneously are made to feel “united” behind governmental authority, “united” in pursuit of agendas detrimental to their collective interests, and “united” in sentiments of hostility and hatred towards scapegoats and “heretics” of official narratives.
At the level of society the strategy of tension serves to:
- Induce variable states of social pathology characterized by social inability to effectively mobilize a defense of collective interests. The interests of the people are quickly subverted by the prepared, highly organized, and coordinated actions of the ruling establishment and government. Social momentum is quickly subsumed in service of the agendas of the operation and appropriate social mobilization which attempts to safeguard collective interests are aggressively thwarted.
- Promote profound shared delusions. Audiences are induced into propaganda matrices and into reasoning within deceptive paradigms which often are sufficiently divorced from reality as to be considered delusional in nature. Doing so on a mass scale is essentially the engineering of mass states of shared delusions. In such states of mass delusions audiences are easily guided to desired ideological and behavioral endpoints.
- Promote seismic shifts in public thought, ideology, opinion, and behavior. The chronic stress, mass states of delusion, and the aggressive use of psychological warfare induces an unnatural social malleability. Within this state, society can be guided to any desired endpoint regardless of its extreme, unnatural, or inhuman nature so long as it is performed skillfully and with consideration to acclimatization.
- Promote the social ostracism and persecution of nonconformists, nonbelievers of official narratives, ideological/political adversaries, and political scapegoats.
- Promote sociopolitical extremism. Political moderates are sidelined and audience’s moderate impulses are subverted in favor of politically extreme positions.
- Promote social divisions and engineer novel social rifts. The innate experiences of chronic stress and psychological distress within these crises often naturally produce misguided negative sentiments towards those that are perceived to be responsible for the crisis. If desired as part of the agendas of an operation, psychological warfare can be used to engineer social rifts and divisions even in societies which previously experienced longstanding social harmony. This can be fomented as needed towards endpoints of intergenerational communal strife, crippling social dysfunctions, communal violence, or genocide.
At the level of society, the strategy of tension serves to create an unnatural malleability which allows for the sequential deformation of societies towards desired radical endpoints. Historically it has been used to create serious social rifts in previously harmonious societies, engineer intercommunal atrocities, and catalyze acts of genocide. Societies can be induced into the abandonment of previously sacred ideals and paradigms thereby fundamentally changing the spirit and essence of entire civilizations. Some of the sub-agendas of PSOs have sought to create novel social rifts in a region-specific manner with the intention of pursuing geopolitical objectives.
At the political level the strategy serves to:
- Facilitate the rise of desired political groups and ideologies.
- Eliminate political moderates and strongly polarize political spheres.
- Induce gravitation toward political extremism.
- Justify authoritarian expansions of power, deformations of constitutional frameworks, and shifts in foundational societal paradigms
- Facilitate the rise of tyrants.
The crisis situation and inducement into irrational fears produces predictable political pressure which is strategically useful to the engineers of the crisis and political opportunists. Psychological warfare is especially implemented to stoke subconscious fears and manipulate mass psychology into reasoning on terms of safety and protection. This causes a natural shift in political sentiment towards political figures and groups that attempt to address safety concerns. Those in the political arena who retain ethical and professional standards and perform the appropriate actions of urging caution are easily sidelined and their sage advice drowned out by propaganda and hyperbolic political rhetoric. If needed, those politicians and public figures urging equanimity, caution, and calculated strategic decisions are slandered and demonized as being irresponsible, unpatriotic, dangerous to public safety, etcetera, in order to mitigate their influence.
As those implementing the strategy of tension have the advantage of preparation, they are in an ideal position to take full advantage of the sociopolitical destabilization and political upheaval. Quite often the strategy of tension is accompanied by the engineered growth of authoritarianism and the abridgement of political rights and freedoms.
The combined effects of the strategy of tension function at each layer `of society to induce pathological dynamics and dysfunctional social reactions which allows the engineers of crisis to induce unnatural guided change. For the successful implementation of the strategy, the natural human instincts which promote prosocial dynamics, humanitarian concerns, inspire the aggressive defense of collective interests, and strongly induce spontaneous paradigms of cooperation and selflessness must be subverted with dysfunctional dynamics replacing their natural counterparts. This dysfunction is induced and guided through the use of psychological terror and the skilled application of psychological warfare techniques.
It is of absolute necessity to thwart the natural instinctual drives in order to inhibit spontaneous social nuclei of crystallization in which groups come together for the defense of collective interests. Any spontaneous unguided social cooperation has the potential of coalescing into independent social movements outside of government control. Such social momentum has the potential of catalyzing a public awakening and can lead to an organized opposition to the overtly criminal actions of governmental authority. Left unchecked natural dynamics can undermine the base of support for the authoritarian government policies and induce sociopolitical momentum in direct opposition to the agendas of the strategy.
Contemporary application of the strategy of tension in PSOs has the advantage of decades of social engineering which have severely compromised the ability for independent community mobilization and has seeded anti-instincts and facets of psychopathology at the individual level. These factors greatly improve the successful implementation of the agendas of PSOs and aids in the overall success of these operations. Regardless of the successes in social engineering, natural prosocial instincts are sufficiently ingrained in human nature that independent activists and elements within the alternative media have the potential of igniting a public consciousness and reawakening dormant social instincts. The awakened informed masses newly comfortable in the exercise of their innate humanity have the potential of severely limiting the success of these types of operations.
Strategy of Irrationality:
The fear-induced irrationality provoked by psychological warfare is fully weaponized during the course of a PSO in order to maximize cognitive malleability, behavioral flexibility, and in order to aggressively foment sociopolitical and ideological transformations. To this end specific tactics are utilized which augment irrationality and engineer unnatural states of reasoning. The ultimate goal of this strategy is to induce highly malleable irrationality while not compromising the firm belief of audiences in the government’s official narrative du jour.
Several terms need to be defined for the purposes of elucidating the strategy of irrationality and associated techniques.
Doublethink: is a term coined by the writer George Orwell in his novel Nineteen Eighty-Four for the psychological warfare technique of inducing a cognitive state in which contradictory beliefs can be held simultaneously while maintaining cognitive consonance and absolute certitude in the veracity of the beliefs. This induced state of mind causes individuals to perform magnificent contortions in reasoning and engage in patently irrational thought processes in an effort to maintain as true belief systems which display overt and irreconcilable contradictions. Individuals can be manipulated into arriving at desired conclusions while displaying militant certitude yet be able to arrive at opposite conclusions with ease when instructed to do so. In this state of mind cognitive clarity is severely compromised, the integrity of logic and reasoning is subverted, and the ideological integrity of core concepts is nonexistent.
Magical Thinking: for the purposes of this treatise magical thinking is defined as thought processes in which objects, persons, events, phenomena, processes, etcetera take on magical qualities or attributes unrestrained by the limitations of reality, that defy common sense, and/or that contradict undisputed history, scientific understanding, or accumulated knowledge.
Delusional Ideation: for the purposes of this treatise delusional ideation is defined as entertaining ideas and engaging in thought processes which have as their foundation egregious disinformation and/or pseudo-knowledge or that are founded upon beliefs and/or convictions which are delusional in nature and extremely outrageous when juxtaposed with reality. The thought processes, reasoning, and conclusions that have their basis in delusional ideation are absurd and outrageous when compared with reality but are often reasonable and internally consistent within the framework of the foundational delusions. The individual engaging in such mentation may or may not be aware of contextual reality in which case such thinking can be sub-classified as willing and unwilling delusional ideation. Often those who are engaging in unwilling delusional ideation are willing and able to reorient and ground their thought processes when exposed to incontrovertible reality.
It is also necessary to appreciate the context in which the techniques of the strategy of irrationality are performed. The historical foundations of Western education are rooted in the educational traditions of “Classical Education” which has as its core the trivium which consists of grammar, logic, and rhetoric. A meaningful exploration into the critical importance of the trivium is beyond the scope of this treatise, however it is important to note that it has been known since ancient times the importance of producing a citizenry that is logical, highly proficient in their native language, able to think deeply and meaningfully about important issues, and able to formulate and defend their own opinions and positions. These abilities were understood to be essential for the exercise of democratic principles and maintaining the integrity of republics while their opposites were understood to be conducive to sociopolitical debasement and tyranny.
Modern education increasingly strives to achieve a paradigm that can adequately be described as “Anti-Classical Education” in that it attempts to invert the trivium into its opposites. Proficiency in grammar is replaced with limited vocabulary and atrophied prose, logic is replaced with unreason and irrationality, and rhetoric is replaced with an absence of independent thought and the uncritical acceptance of “authoritative” opinions. Increasingly modern citizens conclude their public education without having honed their ability to reason, without having mastered the basic rules of logic, and with a stunted capacity for independent critical thought. These already dismal results are being compounded by efforts to further debase public education with the aim of promoting advanced forms of pseudo-reasoning. The only meaningful skill developed in systems of public education is the ability to absorb and regurgitate information with an uncritical acceptance of the purported veracity of the presented information. This engineered atrophy of the public’s capacity to reason has marked detrimental effects on the personal and sociopolitical functioning of citizens.
This engineered baseline irrationality of the general citizenry is fully taken advantage of by the mainstream media and pseudo-journalistic outlets which comprise important components of the international propaganda apparatus. To this end much of the design of “news” presentations (strategic disinformation and propaganda) is performed in such a manner as to further encourage emotionally-charged irrationality. The standard output of contemporary propaganda by mainstream news outlets is in no way limited by the need to appeal to the nearly absent logic of audiences or even to dissimulate semi-logical reasoning. Quite the opposite, modern psychological operations aggressively promote further descents into irrationality by the general public and utilize advanced psychological warfare techniques refined over the course of decades to induce the public into conforming patterns of illogical thinking.
In standard practice the strategy of irrationality aims to:
- Foment a controllable irrationality that is decoupled from reality and personal experiences.
- Induce total malleability in ideology, cognitive processes, perception, sociobehavioral patterns, sociocultural norms, and political frameworks.
- Guide the public mind in a pseudo-logical manner as needed to desired endpoints.
- Eliminate or diminish the resistance that would naturally arise from the adherence to ethical norms, value systems, sociocultural norms, ideological/political traditions, or spiritual traditions.
These goals are achieved by the manipulation of emotional states and the use of brazen non sequitur pseudo-logic which sequentially jumps in an irrational manner from point, to point, to point in overtly illogical sequences of reasoning. The endpoints of these exercises in non sequitur pseudo-logic are always the desired conclusions necessary to promote the interests and the agendas of the ruling establishment.
During the course of PSOs the strategy of irrationality is aggressively implemented in a manner many scales of magnitude greater than what is utilized at baseline levels. The innate irrationality already present within audiences is greatly exacerbated in order to induce ungrounded mental states, emotionally-charged extreme irrationality, and to thoroughly decouple the public’s mentation from reality. The resulting extreme pathological states shared by a significant percentage of the population can aptly be described as a form of controlled mass psychosis with shared delusions. This is directly induced and skillfully controlled through the use of psychological terrorism conducted on the public via mass media. Within such mental states of profound psychopathology, patterns of thought and behavior become highly suggestible and hyper-malleable. Furthermore, extended use of weaponized fear and the chronic stress experienced by audiences severely erodes their already limited capacity to resist propaganda and disinformation campaigns.
The strategy of irrationality during PSOs is further enhanced by several important psychological warfare techniques of which the two most prominent are the techniques of induced magical thinking and doublethink.
The technique of induced magical thinking aims to convince audiences of the magical properties or attributes of a thing which is integral to the ruse of an operation or which is critical to the official narrative surrounding an operation. The magical thing can be almost anything: a person, organization, object, place, event/incident, element, compound, reaction, phenomenon, process, etcetera. Whatever the magical thing may be what they all share in common is the irreality of how this “magical” thing is portrayed to the public and the implausibility or absolute impossibility of the claims surrounding it. In the standard application of this technique audiences are not explicitly told that the critical thing is magical per se though euphemistic language may be employed which for all intents and purposes connotes that the thing is “magical” in its functioning. Rather, great efforts are undertaken to lend legitimacy and credence to the ludicrous claims made in regards to the magical thing and mask the impossibility of its purported attributes.
To this end, the perception of the public is grossly distorted as it concerns this magical thing in order to obscure its fantastical and impossible nature. Ideally an inverted perception is cultivated in which the fantastical and magical is made to appear as having an aura of hyper-veracity and being perfectly grounded in reality. This is achieved through the aggressive use of propaganda, unscrupulous mercenary “experts,” the prolific production of pseudo-knowledge, the egregious manipulation of specialized knowledge, disinformation campaigns, and if needed the creation of entire fields of pseudoscience. The end result of these efforts is the seamless integration of these magical things into the audience’s general understanding combined with their inability to properly detect the points of egregious irreality within their schematic understanding of reality. Any “reasoning” which holds these magical things with magical properties as being true is by its very nature an exercise in magical thinking and any conclusions derived from such exercises of “reasoning” are by extension wholly divorced from reality. The technique of magical thinking is especially useful in situations in which obscene leaps in logic are greatly facilitated by the total flexibility and limitless potential provided by fantastical things and magical thinking.
The ultimate aim of the magical thinking technique within PSOs is to:
- Imbue a PSO’s “crisis” with exceptional flexibility without compromising its believability.
- Artificially strengthen what would otherwise be a flimsy official narrative.
- Rectify any plot holes in the mendacious official narrative and address any inconsistencies that may be noted during the course of the operation.
- Entice the public into believing in the necessity for unacceptable and outrageous “solutions” to the engineered crisis.
It is standard practice within PSOs to employ this technique to all fear-inducing stimuli and to heavily incorporate “magicalness” into many aspects of the central crisis. The magical properties of the fear-inducing stimulus allows for limitless flexibility in the ability to psychologically terrorize the public. A threat which is known and its parameters well-defined is correctly perceived by audiences as being predictable and exhibiting limitations in its capacity to harm. However, a magical threat with fantastical attributes has no restraints on predictability nor limitations in its perceived ability to cause harm. The fear-inducing magical thing is made to appear mysterious, ill-defined, mercurial in nature, ever-evolving in its capacity to harm, and requiring increasingly extreme measures in order to combat its “magicalness.”
It is also important to note that the trends of PSOs demonstrate an increasing reliance on massive and ambitious disinformation campaigns especially dedicated to the defense of the magical thinking technique. While past PSOs concealed the magical thinking technique in a patchwork manner usually consisting of a small number of mercenary experts and overly complex manipulations of highly specialized knowledge, these types of operations are increasingly corrupting the integrity of entire academic fields, the sciences, and established knowledge bases on a massive and unprecedented scale. Entire pseudosciences and veritable armies of mercenary experts are being foisted upon the sciences and dedicated pseudo-knowledge creation schemes are employed to deluge academic fields with overwhelming quantities of pseudo-knowledge. While these trends allow for the engineered perception of respectability and rationality in regards to outrageous magical things, it is likely that doing so will have proportional detrimental effects in the long-term.
While the magical thinking technique aims to corrupt logical thinking by embedding disinformation into audiences’ schematic understanding of reality, the technique of doublethink aims to completely destroy the integrity of reasoning and exert dominion over the perceived reality of audiences.
The specific aims of the technique of doublethink include:
- Functionally eliminate objective truth from an audiences’ thought processes and schematic understanding of reality.
- Break down adherence to accepted knowledge and sociobehavioral patterns thereby forcing an unnatural ideological and behavioral flexibility.
- Create a malleable ambiguity as it concerns language and concepts.
- Cultivate highly flexible pseudo-reasoning thought processes which can arrive at conclusions, harden, and then dissipate on command.
- Cultivate a total deference and submission to the opinions, pseudo-reasoning, and presented reality of a controller.
The goal of the technique of doublethink is to simultaneously create within audiences the seemingly mutually exclusive mental traits of total ideological flexibility and immovable ideological obstinance in which the only real “truth” that exists for audiences is that desired by the controller.
In practice this technique is performed by forcing audiences:
- To accept a conclusion to be true then a short time later forcing them to accept an opposing conclusion as being true.
- To accept simultaneously opposing “facts” and opinions while not allowing audiences to fully understood them to be overtly in opposition.
- To learn and incorporate into their thought processes irrational reasoning through the use of repetition in propaganda.
- To fully accept the conclusions desired by the controller especially in situations in which these conclusions are unnatural and outrageous.
- Discouraging truly independent reasoning and critical thought outside of the influence of the controller.
When this technique is performed skillfully it produces within the target audience a cognitive and ideological haze in which the only “truth” and accepted “reality” is that which is desired by the controller at that specific moment.
A further exploration of the nuances of this technique and is beyond the scope of this treatise. As it concerns PSOs, the technique of doublethink is frequently and aggressively utilized in order to decouple audiences from their understanding of reality, to destabilize their previously stable schematic understanding and accepted paradigms, and to force an unnatural malleability in cognition, ideology, and behavior. This induced fluidity allows for the rapid transition from prior stable paradigms to newer and increasingly novel paradigms while maintaining a momentum of change and militant adherence to the paradigm du jour. A PSO is able to cycle through paradigms at a rapid rate towards the ultimate desired endpoints at velocities orders of magnitude greater than what is achieved through the standard use of social engineering. Furthermore, the use of this technique provides a great degree of flexibility in simultaneously furthering any number of other agendas and in facilitating rapid pivots necessary to address geopolitical concerns.
The combined effects of the strategy of irrationality and its assorted techniques produce within audiences profound deeply held delusions, several forms of induced state-controlled psychopathology, and epidemic levels of delusional ideation. Any attempts by audiences in the thrall of delusions to meaningfully converse as it concerns any aspect of PSOs is by necessity wholly divorced from reality and chained to the deceptions of the operation. The civil discourse of targeted audiences remains confined to the parameters and paradigms of a PSO so long as the disinformation and consequent delusions are accepted as true.
Especially during the initiation and active phase of a PSO, the flow of information is very strictly controlled with contradictory information and dissenting opinions being heavily suppressed. As a PSO is in essence an elaborate confidence trick, any information that erodes the public’s confidence in the nature of the crisis or in the “necessity” of the responses to the crisis has to be dealt with in a prompt and effective manner in order to maintain the integrity of the deception. Furthermore, the “crisis” at the core of a PSO’s often involves manipulations of specialized information combined with gross perversions of logic which are patently absurd if exposed and require protection in order to be effective.
This requires that:
- The specialized information needed to deconstruct the deception not be readily available to general audiences.
- The specialized information and knowledge creation within the field at the core of a PSO be corrupted for the sake of the deception.
- Those that have the knowledge, intelligence, and credentials who see beyond the deception not be allowed to deconstruct the falsehoods for general audiences.
With the control of the information sphere, audiences can be flooded with overwhelming amounts of corroborating pseudo-information and concurring opinions. This gives the false impression of a soundness of logic and a uniformity of opinion which is wholly artificial and in truth a product of the totalitarian control of the flow of information. This engineered consensus functions at the level of the individual as an artificial form of social pressure coercing them into ideological conformity. This artificial consensus is further aided by the intentional defamation and demonization of dissenters by the mainstream propaganda apparatus. Mainstream coverage of dissenting opinions is intentionally manipulated so as to make them appear illogical, irresponsible, and insane. This combination of disinformation, artificial consensus, and strategic defamation serves to create the artificial impression of a safe, rational, and responsible conformity versus an irresponsible and irrational nonconformity.
Detractors and dissenters to the engineered consensus are almost universally denied access to mainstream news outlets and their platform and positions are intentionally misconstrued and defamed throughout media. When dissenters attempt to voice important arguments or information through digital mediums, their suppression is often as simple as a few minor modifications to algorithms. In general, utilization of non-digital mediums for the purposes of disseminating information has fallen out of favor and has become greatly atrophied since the advent of the internet. This greatly simplifies and streamlines the suppression of information and censorship of dissenting opinions.
Censorship in the age of the internet has become a refined art form with the ability to disappear information, digital evidence, and dissenting opinions being a quick, straightforward, and uncomplicated process. During the early phases of PSOs the full extent of these censorship and digital information warfare capabilities are often exerted with the near complete disappearance of genuine alternative voices. The public is militantly denied voices of reason as they are coerced and corralled into the desired opinions and beliefs.
On occasion, true information concerning the real-time status of a PSO “crisis” is covered by mainstream media which is either quickly disappeared or quickly forgotten as overwhelming amounts of disinformation is rained down upon the public. Though censorship regarding past PSOs is useful, very often the iron-grip on information is relaxed once the main agendas have been implemented and reversion to prior paradigms becomes an impossibility.
Controlling the Narrative:
Nearly identical to controlling the flow of information, controlling the narrative further entails strict censorship and strategic omission of newsworthy comments, opinions, speeches, articles, interviews, etcetera produced by non-compliant politicians, scientists, academics, intellectuals, and other noteworthy persons or institutions. The only information that is allowed to reach general audiences is the disinformation necessary to prop-up the deception of a PSO and the only persons or institutions that are allowed traction within the information sphere are those repeating the propaganda talking points. These types of operations inevitably have noteworthy detractors who voice their dissenting opinions in important public forums explicitly for the purpose of ensuring that their dissenting opinions be heard and publicly discussed. These attempts at sociopolitical discourse are targeted for censorship, ignored by the mainstream media, and algorithmically buried if they make it online.
By controlling the flow of information and controlling the narrative concerning the crisis the public’s logical flow and conclusions are firmly controlled. The public’s beliefs and opinions are expertly given to them via their preferred propaganda sources with their conclusions inevitably reaching the desired endpoints in a step-by-step pseudo-logical manner. The public, though made to feel that they are intellectually and ideologically sovereign, are in truth ideologically shackled to the deceptions necessary to further the agendas.
Even the most logical and dispassionate amongst the public will inevitably reach conclusions favorable to the agendas if they consume propaganda which thoroughly permeates the information sphere. Logic is only as sound as the information, data, and evidence it relies upon and the logical processes of the public are by necessity corrupted by the disinformation which dominates the information sphere.
Aggressive Disinformation Campaigns:
During the course of a PSO the public is flooded with disinformation and propaganda on a constant basis with the crisis at the core of the PSO being forced into their consciousness at all times. The great majority of what the public is exposed to is false information or outright fabrications. Nevertheless, the sheer torrent of corroborating pseudo-information cements the disinformation and false impressions in the minds of audiences required for the success of the PSO.
The fire-hosing technique has several important effects:
- It serves to evoke great alarm and maintain a state of unreasonable fear over an extended period of time.
- The greater the state of alarm the greater the irrationality of the audience which allows for increased credulity to even greater levels of nonsensical propaganda.
- The individual weaknesses of the micro-deceptions are mitigated by the sheer number of mendacious disinformation which mentally overwhelms audiences and gaslights them into uncritical acceptance of all the information they are being flooded with.
Much of the disinformation that the public is flooded with are micro-deceptions which reinforce the major deceptions of the PSO. These micro-deceptions can range from simple propaganda inserts to dedicated propaganda pieces, but what they all share in common is their false nature and the intent to deceive. To reiterate, while the gross majority of these micro-deceptions are exceedingly flimsy on their own, what they lack in individual strength they make up for in sheer volume.
Very often during the course of a PSO some of these micro-deceptions are shown to be false by independent investigative efforts. Even when this occurs no meaningful damage is done to the PSO for several reasons:
- The dearth of major media outlets covering the outing of minor deceptions minimizes general exposure.
- For every single disproven micro-deception many more take its place in real time which continues the momentum of the PSO.
- The public’s attention is redirected towards the newest batch of micro-deceptions.
- Individual recollection and the collective subconscious are shaped more by the initial micro-deception than by the revelation of its falsehood.
- Audiences have a tendency of weighing the overall evidence and for every single disproven deception there are hundreds that are not proven on a timely basis and are erroneously understood to be truthful.
In totality, these factors have the tendency of preventing audiences from fully grasping the real implications and ramifications of the outing of consecutive micro-deceptions leading to a failure to appreciate a worrying pattern of mendacity and corruption. The dissection of these deceptions as well as a meaningful exploration of their implications is only truly performed within the sphere of the alternative media.
Situational Uncertainty of Audiences:
Part of the information warfare of a PSO concerns itself with cultivating confusion, uncertainty, cognitive turbidity, and an inability of the public to correctly gauge the true nature and status of the crisis. In the midst of an engineered informational morass the only constant given to the public are the histrionic voices within the mainstream media which incessantly repeat terror inducing “news” updates. This muddying of the waters within informational spheres serves several critical functions:
- Uncertainty and confusion strongly promote fear.
- In confused states the masses attempt to latch onto what they perceive to be constants during the crisis situation. These constants are provided to them in the form of authority figures and professional propagandists within mass media.
- Within states of generalized confusion the masses are more willing to defer their individual logic and opinions to those in authority who appear to be knowledgeable and appear to know what they are doing.
- Within confused, disoriented, and emotionally-charged states the cognitive processes, opinions, and emotions of the masses can be readily and quickly manipulated in any desired direction.
Furthermore, disinformation and psychological warfare is aimed specifically at the alternative media and at social groups who are especially disinclined to cooperate with PSOs. The disinformation aimed at these groups is designed to hamper their pursuit of truth and lead their investigative efforts astray. The alternative media has presented a serious complication to these types of operations as their ability to quickly deconstruct the deceptions of PSOs, their ever-expanding reach, and their ability to provide counter information and rational analysis on a timely basis makes them an effective counter to the propaganda efforts of PSOs. The rational clarity and emotional balance provided by alternative media analysts are anathema to the very intent of a PSO which aims at inducing psychological and sociopolitical malleability through fear and irrationality. As such, the alternative media is especially targeted with the use of controlled opposition amongst their ranks as well as specialized disinformation aimed at corrupting their investigative efforts.
The net effect of these techniques is to create a situation in which the ruling establishment and authorities can correctly gauge the status of their crisis and monitor the public’s response to it in real time while the public is grossly misinformed, terrorized, and disoriented. In this generalized state of confusion and misdirection the public is unable to properly deduce the flow of events until far after the operation’s active phase has been concluded.
Weaponization of Ignorance:
It is the general strategy of the ruling establishment to weaponize the ignorance of the masses in order to better control populations and in order to mobilize the masses in service of agendas that are not in the best interests of the citizenry. While this strategy is consistently employed at all times, it is nonetheless especially critical during PSOs which attempt to fill the void of ignorance with the strategic disinformation necessary to steer public opinion in a desired direction. This void of ignorance is itself a consequence of the debased quality of public education and the near complete absence of real journalism within the mainstream propaganda apparatus. The strategic use of ignorance combined with the merciless use of psychological warfare allows for the induction of the public into states of mass delusions with profound illogical and irrational qualities untethered from any grounded understanding of reality. Furthermore, the weaponization of the public’s ignorance has marked utility in protecting the core deceptions of a PSO as well as providing the core deceptions of PSO with remarkable flexibility. The weaponization of ignorance can generally be categorized into the weaponization of deficits in general knowledge and deficits in rare and/or specialized knowledge.
It should be noted that the nature of a PSO is fundamentally that of a highly advanced confidence trick played on the public. As such PSOs share many of the core essentials of common confidence tricks in that they rely on the credulity of the victims, they exploit a differential in knowledge between the con artist and the victim, and they rely on the use of fraudulent presentation of the facts as it concerns the situation. The ability of a potential victim to protect their interests fundamentally depends on:
- Healthy levels of skepticism.
- Maintaining a grounded, logical, and emotionally-balanced state of mind when dealing with the con artist.
- Performing the necessary due diligence required on the part of the potential victim.
- Correcting any differential in knowledge the potential victim may have between the con artist and themselves.
In general, the greater the ignorance and credulity of the victim the easier it is to defraud them. This is especially so if the victim fails to correct the deficit in knowledge the confidence trick depends on. It is necessary to understand these facts because quite often the nature of the presentation of the core deception of a PSO is such that those with either high quality basic education or those with the necessary specialized knowledge base can unequivocally see through the ruse of the PSO. Having the necessary knowledge base on a timely basis provides the citizen with a degree of immunity to being bamboozled while ignorance strongly predisposes this end. Ignorance is a strategic weapon of critical necessity for the success of a PSO as much if not more so than is the use of propaganda and psychological warfare techniques.
It is also important to appreciate:
- The importance of public education in maintaining the public’s dismal state of ignorance, its role in paradigm shifting operations, in indoctrination, and in cultivating credulity towards authority figures.
- The role of propaganda news outlets as it concerns maintaining critical ignorance.
As it concerns education, the completeness of basic public education has been eroded and its quality markedly debased throughout the majority of the world in a systematic manner over the past few decades. Many of the changes to education were performed in a Trojan horse manner in which the intentional debasement of education was politically championed as educational reform. It is often difficult to appreciate the magnitude of this debasement because the citizenry is inclined to judge the quality of education based on their individual experiences which often does not have the benefit of comparison within regions of the same nation, between nations, and sequentially over successive decades. Any objective analysis between contemporary education and its past would note in most nations a marked decrease in the quality of education as well as an alarming injection of indoctrination, propaganda, and behavioral conditioning into the educational curriculum. Increasingly, public education is being used to indoctrinate children with an uncritical acceptance of the ruses of PSOs along with a zealous uncritical support for the “solutions” (i.e. agendas) the PSO is attempting to bring to fruition.
The net effect of this weaponization of education is successive batches of citizens with a dismal general knowledge base, illiteracy in core subjects, behavioral conditioning with a special emphasis on credulity and obedience, and with an indoctrinated zealous belief in the ruses of PSOs. The gaps in general knowledge are increasingly vast with a shocking ignorance as it concerns basic information that should be common knowledge. This is compounded by the citizen’s loss of their prime years for learning, an engineered aversion to self-directed learning, and an affinity for the uncritical acceptance of “expert” opinion. Not only are these newer generations of citizens unable to utilize their general knowledge base to deconstruct the increasingly outrageous and overtly false ruses of PSOs, they lack the proficiency with logical reasoning and the developed mental faculties for critical analysis required to perform a satisfactory logical analysis of a PSO and its accompanying agendas.
As it concerns news media, the function of contemporary news media is to propagandize the citizenry and disseminate disinformation. The transition from the journalistic integrity of the past to the contemporary state of journalism as propaganda took place over many decades and primarily occurred via the acquisition of independent news providers by large conglomerates (thereby centralizing control over journalism) and the aggressive infiltration and manipulation of news outlets by intelligence agencies. The net effect of this combined hostile takeover of nearly all journalistic outlets is the creation of a global propaganda apparatus unrestrained by national borders which loyally serves the interests of the ruling establishment.
While the general theory of journalism is to present the facts in an honest, unbiased, and comprehensive, in practice contemporary journalism functions as purveyors of propaganda and peddlers of disinformation. This reality is in sharp contrast with the purported journalistic integrity and independence portrayed to audiences. In truth contemporary journalism are curators of the perceived reality of their viewership. As part of their duties as professional propagandists and managers of perception is the careful and considered omission of necessary information which would provide the viewership with an objective and comprehensive understanding of a subject. Quite often the information that is omitted from presentation is far more important than the disinformation that is provided.
The consequence of this curation of the perceived reality of the viewership are impressive chasms within the general public’s knowledge base. Reality is literally hidden in plain sight and audiences are trained to believe that if news outlets did not cover some information it must either be false, not newsworthy, or irrelevant. It is often quite impressive how critical information that the layman presumes is impossible to hide nonetheless remains largely unknown to the general public.
Due to the combination of these systems of control, the general knowledge needed to see through the ruses of PSOs is rarely held by any meaningful percentage of the population. The deficits in general knowledge combined with the aggressive manipulation of the flow of information and the hostile censorship of truthful information protects the ruses of PSOs and allows for the manipulation of the public’s reasoning down paths conducive to the agendas of an operation.
In regards to specialized knowledge, quite often the ruses of PSOs rely on extremely elaborate deceptions which manipulate the knowledge, theories, protocols, ethical norms, standards, etcetera of specialized professions or academic fields. These specialized deceptions are necessary in order weave a web of deceptions as it concerns the PSO’s central “crisis” as well as to justify the “solutions” proffered to “solve” the crisis. Those well-versed in the academic or professional fields which deal specifically with the specialized knowledge at the core of a PSO are often able to see through the ruses of an operation. However, such knowledge by its very nature is uncommon and the ignorance of audiences as it concerns specialized fields is taken advantage of to the fullest extent possible.
Outrageous lies as it concerns such specialized knowledge are aggressively promoted and generally widely accepted due to:
- Audiences being generally unwilling to delve into specialized fields in order to become literate in the subject.
- Audiences having been trained to uncritically value official expert opinion over their own independent analysis.
- Alternative or dissenting opinions by experts within the specialized fields being aggressively censored and prevented from reaching wider audiences.
- Alternative opinions and truthful analyses by dissident experts being demonized by the mainstream propaganda apparatus. Audiences are often disinclined to listen to dissenting expert opinion due to having been successfully propagandized.
The net effect of the weaponization of ignorance is a malleable state of ignorance in which the voids of ignorance are filled as needed by disinformation campaigns. The strategic manipulation of ignorance greatly facilitates perception management which becomes a relatively straightforward process within this context.
Reasoning on the Terms of the State:
Critical to the success of a PSO is the ability to exert ideological control over audiences especially during the critical phases of the operation. Integral to establishing ideological control is the careful design and implementation of propaganda matrices, the guidance of public reasoning, the corralling of public thought and opinion, and the elimination of competing ideas and opinions. Strict ideological totalitarianism combined with psychological terrorism is utilized to great effect to quickly guide audiences’ reasoning and transition them into novel paradigms with minimal resistance. The entrapment of the public mind and the coercion into reasoning solely on the terms established by the state ensures the public’s support for the limited pseudo-solutions proffered by the state and their acquiescence to the novel paradigms being foisted upon them.
For the purposes of this treatise, a propaganda matrix is a framework of deceptions designed to ensnare an audience’s schematic understanding of reality, bind their reasoning and thought processes within false paradigms, and limit the range of acceptable thought and opinion within strict parameters. The matrix itself is constructed through the use of psychological warfare and the injection of vast amounts of disinformation into an audience’s knowledge base.
It is not merely necessary to induce audiences into the propaganda matrix of a PSO but to fundamentally shift public thought and discourse into the paradigms of the state. Merely entrapping audiences within a PSO’s propaganda matrix guarantees only the acceptance of a crisis as it is presented, it does not guarantee support nor acquiescence for the pseudo-solutions or the agendas of a PSO. Public thought and reasoning must be controlled and contained in a totalitarian manner that it may be strictly guided in the direction of the desired endpoints. This is accomplished by:
- Totalitarian control of the flow of information.
- Strict control of the public’s perception and awareness.
- Guiding the public’s reasoning.
- Placing severe limitations on the public’s thought processes.
- Constricting the range of public discourse.
- Inducement into reasoning within the paradigms of the state.
- Discouraging nonconformity to the desired ideological parameters and attacking nonconformists.
It is important to contrast the differences between states of normal sociopolitical functioning and those of varying degrees of ideological totalitarianism. In sociopolitical environments devoid of propaganda and ideological coercion, public opinion exhibits natural variations with a wide spectrum of thought and ideology. The natural diversity of thought produces a wide range of opinion on any number of important sociopolitical issues. Combined with open and unencumbered public discourse, ideas and opinions may grow in popularity based on their innate excellence and soundness of logic. The rise and fall in popularity of ideas in such free states leads to natural clusterings of public opinion as it pertains to specific issues.
In states of natural functioning, societies confronted by adversities or crises tend to gravitate towards solutions that are efficient, effective, and which minimize detrimental effects to the body politic. Any civil discourse conducted during such times of crisis are done within the paradigms of liberty, human rights, beneficence, and nonmaleficence with special consideration to the sociopolitical and sociocultural norms of that society. The preferred solutions and interventions tend to be those that most quickly and precisely deal with the adversity/crisis and are able to quickly restore stability and sociopolitical homeostasis. Metaphorically, surgical precision is used to address an offending pathology with care not to mangle healthy tissue and compromise the survival of the subject. Quintessential philosophical and ideological paradigms are not readily mutilated in a frenetic hysteria and irrational rush for a “solution.” On the contrary, great consideration and thought is put into the decision-making process as to ensure collective wellbeing and the proper restoration of sociopolitical homeostasis.
In sociopolitical states of varying degrees of ideological totalitarianism, propaganda is widely and commonly utilized in order to engineer public opinion, manipulate public perception, and constrain public thought and opinion to very strictly controlled micro-spectrums of opinion deemed acceptable by the state. States which rely on propaganda seek to engineer a conformity and predictability of human thought and behavior which greatly facilitates the state’s domination over their domestic populations. To this end, propaganda matrices are utilized, audiences are propagandized into strict adherence to the ideological paradigms of the state, and severe limitations are placed on public discourse. The implementation of these strategies produces an extreme conformity and unnatural consistency in public thought and opinion which is in sharp contrast to the natural spectrums of human thought and behavior.
A PSO is by definition an exercise in ideological and political totalitarianism in that it seeks to strictly control and guide public opinion in service of the agendas of the ruling establishment and aims to deform the social contract and political norms in ways that are antithetical to human rights and human liberty. Furthermore, it specifically aims to distort or destroy ideological, philosophical, and sociopolitical paradigms while preventing a return to sociopolitical homeostasis. In order to achieve its goals, PSOs must be conducted in such a manner that the public is coaxed and propagandized into reasoning on the terms of the state. The natural paradigms of sociopolitical discourse which include human rights, human dignity, liberty, beneficence, and nonmaleficence must be discarded in favor of the PSO’s paradigm which is in essence: liberty, human rights, and power in exchange for promises of safety.
To this end, the full powers of the international propaganda apparatus are mobilized and audiences are psychologically terrorized and propagandized into an uncritical acceptance of the paradigm of the PSO. In this paradigm, no measure is too extreme nor unreasonable if it is in the pursuit of an illusory “safety.” Within the paradigm of the PSO, sociopolitical norms, human rights, ethics, values, dignity, and liberty are unforgivable heresies that prevent the state from effectively “combating” the “crisis” of the PSO. The public’s irrationality is fully weaponized and in their collective state-controlled insanity they quickly fall into this pernicious paradigm. The public is made to believe that anyone who does not think and speak within this paradigm is unforgivably irresponsible, dangerous, and threat to public safety.
Furthermore, it is necessary to strictly control public perception and public reasoning in order to quickly and effectively move audiences along the path of shifting paradigms. In truth, any legitimate crisis has a great many alternative courses of action, a few wise and efficient solutions, and nearly limitless permutations of the various courses of action that can be taken. Those within the general public who still retain a meaningful capacity to reason will quickly realize that, even if one accepts the vast quantities of egregious disinformation, there are many better and more effective ways of combating the frightening magical “crisis” of the PSO than those that are being championed by propagandists and pursued by the state.
During a PSO, the far superior solutions to the magical “crisis” are ignored in favor of the strict narrow-minded pursuit of the pseudo-solutions needed to further the agendas of the PSO. The straying of public discourse in directions which touch upon sensible superior solutions which do not compromise the natural paradigms of a society are quickly counteracted by the propaganda apparatus. The propaganda apparatus serves a sheepdog role in forcefully corralling public discourse and audience’s thought processes back into the paradigms of the PSO. This is primarily accomplished via attempts to unhinge audiences through the use of psychological terrorism when they stray from the reasoning of the state, aggressive efforts to induce irrational acceptance of the state’s pseudo-solutions, and the incessant use of repetition in propaganda which aims at psychologically embedding propaganda and wearing down the psychological resistance of audiences.
The general strategy taken by the propaganda apparatus in performing its sheepdog duties includes:
- Appeals to fear and the use of psychological terrorism in order to undermine the rationality of audiences.
- Ignoring any alternative information that is not part of the propaganda matrix and undermines the disinformation campaigns.
- Ignoring any sensible alternative solutions and pretending that the pseudo-solutions being championed in the PSO are the only “solutions” which can combat the “crisis” and confer “safety” to the public.
- The use of mercenary “experts” all of whom hold conforming opinions and conforming “solutions.”
- Propagandistic incessant repetition which guides public thought in the desired directions.
- Slanderous demonization of political dissidents, ideological nonconformists, and alternative opinions.
In so doing, the propaganda apparatus forces audiences into a propaganda matrix, induces unwitting audiences into accepting the paradigm of liberty for safety, and carefully guides the reasoning of audiences in a step-by-step manner during the entire course of the operation. Thus, audiences are kept on track towards desired endpoints and in constant acceptance of the unacceptable pseudo-solutions of the PSO.
Controlling the Public’s Response and Implanting Pseudo-solutions:
As part of the ideological totalitarian control necessary for the success of these types of operations it is vitally important to mold public perception as it concerns the central “crisis,” strictly guide public sentiment, and shape the public’s thought processes in favor of the PSO’s pseudo-solutions. The normal public dynamics that arise during genuine crisis situations are thoroughly co-opted with public response being reoriented and weaponized against the interests of the people. While the public may perceive itself as being genuine in its reactions and sovereign in its ideation, in truth it is skillfully manipulated away from natural productive responses and towards the mindless uncritical support of agendas which are antithetical to public interest.
To fully appreciate the importance and implications of co-opting the public’s response it is necessary to provide context and juxtapose the differences between normal responses and the co-opted responses observed during PSOs. Furthermore, for the purposes of this treatise several terms need to be defined.
Government malfeasance: wrongdoing, misconduct, unethical, or criminal acts by government officials or institutions.
Government malpractice: malpractice as it concerns the government especially in situations of –
- Dereliction of the government’s duties owed to the citizenry.
- Inappropriate or criminal acts by government officials or institutions.
- Injury, loss, damage, or the violation of rights and liberties of citizens as a consequence of inappropriate government action or negligence.
- Abuses of power, public trust, and public resources.
- Acting outside of the scope of the social contract and the constitutional framework.
- Acting contrary to public interest or in a manner egregious to the will of the people.
- Failure to exercise the basic standard of skill, knowledge, or expertise required by a government official or institution.
- Unilateral, undemocratic, and/or corrupt modifications to the constitutional framework and/or expansion in government power.
- Failure to maintain appropriate transparency and convey necessary information on a timely basis.
The foundational paradigms of the social contract in republics between the people and their governments is one in which power is conferred to governments with the understanding that this power will be used to:
- Uphold the rights and liberties of the citizenry.
- For the protection of the republic.
- To safeguard public welfare.
- To judiciously (and with the public’s consent) further the interests of the citizenry.
Specifically, the limited power given to the state is designed to uphold and protect the rights, liberties, and privileges of the citizenry which is considered the prime duty of the state. The exercise of government power in ways that infringe upon the prime duty of a republic is the most serious and profound ethical violation the state can commit. Any limited increase in government power must not violate the prime duty nor attempt to infringe or abrogate the rights and liberties of the citizenry.
Furthermore, governmental power in republics is not intended to be wielded for the benefit of the government as the government itself is an institution whose core duties are in service of the citizenry. Neither is it intended for government power to be co-opted by any segment of society or be wielded by private interests against the interests of the general citizenry. To this end, the powers of government are strictly delineated, checks and balances are implemented, and the rights of the citizenry are unambiguously and clearly defined.
The basic paradigm of power is that power can be wielded in service of the people or power can be wielded over the people. These are two distinct and mutually exclusive forms of the use power as it concerns republics. There is a common misconception that the growth of government power by necessity comes at the price of the rights and liberties of the citizenry. Contrary to this misconception, the growth of government power can be granted in a manner that is compatible with the prime duty of the republic and even in a manner that mirrors the expansion of the rights, liberties and privileges of the citizenry.
As the power granted to government is for the purposes of upholding the rights and liberties of the people, power that intrudes upon them is anathema to the principals and philosophy of republics. It has long been understood that when a government wishes to expand its powers in ways that violate the prime duty it is sliding in the direction of authoritarianism and tyranny. It no longer desires to wield power in service to the citizenry nor does it concern itself with the public welfare but rather desires to dominate and control the citizenry for its own ends. For this reason, limitations are placed on government power and extreme care is given to the expansion of governmental power and authority.
Issues of power relations must also be appreciated as they concern the social contract. In most social contracts, it is the general trend that the more power that is granted by society the greater the duty of care that is expected and the greater the consequences for incidences of malpractice. This is an imperfect trend as those with sufficient power are often able to evade the consequences for abuses of power and abuse of the public trust. However, the general paradigms are of:
- The greater the power the greater the duty of care, the more stringent the ethical standards, and the greater the punishment for malpractice.
- Punishment for malpractice is proportional to the degree of negligence, abuse of power, and recklessness of the malpractitioner and proportional to the harm that was caused as a consequence of the malpractice.
- Those in higher positions of power within a power hierarchy are directly responsible for the actions of those under their authority.
In normal republics, the government is expected in its service to the people to address immediate pressing concerns as well as exercise reasonable foresight and vigilance. Harm that befalls the citizenry which is foreseeable, preventable and which the government has been empowered to address is government malpractice. Whether it be through intentional malfeasance or negligent malpractice, such incidences are derelictions of the principal duties of government and are generally viewed as serious and inexcusable breaches of the public trust. These failures in the duties of the state are liable to provoke public outrage directly proportional to the egregiousness of the malfeasance/malpractice and the level of harm that befalls the citizenry. This natural outpouring of outrage is directed primarily at responsible government officials and governmental institutions however it has the potential of significantly eroding the general trust in the government.
In republics with normal dynamics, sudden severe crises are met with an immediate public outrage and loss of confidence in the government. The public is cognizant of the basic sociopolitical paradigms and the duties of government which appropriately shapes their responses. As part of the social contract, it is the duty of the government to employ due diligence, foresight, and appropriate vigilance in its exercise of power. Failures in foresight and vigilance are serious breaches in the duties of government that can in no way be ignored by the citizenry. The power that was granted to the government to ensure the peace, safety, and prosperity of the people was improperly used and the government failed in its core duties to the people. The public outrage is implacable and intently focused on the government and government officials responsible for allowing the sociopolitical destabilization to occur. While uncomfortable for the government, the public outrage is necessary in order to force government reformation and the correction of critical dysfunctions.
Major crises do not simply spontaneously occur in an unforeseen manner, they are either the product of calculated intent, allowed to happen, or the product of serious governmental malpractice. Minor sociopolitical fluctuations are to be expected as are limited unforeseen economic or sociopolitical destabilizations. There may even be an occasional truly unforeseen minor crisis which can be considered normal so long as there is an expedient response by the government which quickly and fully resolves the crisis. Major crises on the other hand are the direct consequence of either:
- Serious problems that have been allowed to fester and grow out of control due to extended government inaction.
- The growth of severe governmental corruption and incompetence which is fast approaching the level of an existential threat.
- The carefully engineered outcome of conspiratorial actions by criminal actors who wish to use the crisis to further corrupt self-interest.
- Some combination thereof.
For these reasons, it is generally understood that a government that has allowed a major crisis to occur is a government that can in no way be trusted.
At the core of the public’s response to governmental malpractice is the appropriate understanding that malefactors empowered by society must be immediately restrained before they are able to cause further harm. This point is given salience if explored at the microcosmic level. A physician who treats a patient’s hangnail with the amputation of the patient’s hand is not merely liable for damages but may permanently his or her medical licensure. That physician is restrained from causing further injury to the patient, denied the ability to enrich himself at his victim’s expense, liable for damages to the victim, and professionally restrained and prevented from harming other patients. In no way is a physician rewarded for obscene malpractice with financial enrichment and increased control over patient care. Likewise, a lawyer who commits egregious malpractice is not empowered with more clients nor given public office as recompense for their misdeeds. Likewise, governmental malpractice requires society to immediately address any issues of negligence or wrongdoing and restrain the exercise of government power as necessary in order to prevent further harm to society.
Within the scope of normal republics, a range of actions are expected from the governments when malpractice has occurred which may include:
- A public apology.
- An honest, timely, and public inquiry into the crisis with a specific emphasis on identifying governmental malpractice.
- Full restitution to the injured parties.
- The resignation of the heads of agencies/departments/ministries which allowed the crisis to occur.
- The public sacking of all malpractitioners accompanied with appropriate punitive measures.
- Appropriate abridgements and restraints to government power until such time as the issues of malpractice have been addressed.
- Appropriate modifications to the structure or function of government within the constitutional framework aimed at preventing a repetition of government malpractice.
In situations in which governmental malpractice is especially egregious the loss of public confidence can be sufficiently great as to force the resignation of the head of state and the entire ruling administration. These can be considered the appropriate public responses to egregious government malpractice and the result of normal healthy dynamics between the citizenry and their government.
In a republic that finds itself in increasingly severe states of pathology and plagued by intractable corruption an inverted pathological dynamic develops between the citizenry and the government. In these pathological dynamics the public’s outrage is mitigated, their perception manipulated, their fury misdirected, and their political agitation co-opted. In such pathological states the government’s actions tend to be the perfect inverse of the normal range of actions:
- Blame is misdirected, innocent parties are scapegoated, and the public is greatly deceived.
- The government fails to investigate wrongdoing or does so in corrupt facetious manner that placates the public but does not address corruption and shields malpractitioners.
- Great pains are taken to avoid restitution to injured parties.
- Heads of corrupt irresponsible governmental bodies are promoted and further empowered.
- Malpractitioners are given immunity for their criminality and corruption and can continue to act with impunity.
- The government uses its own malpractice to further empower itself and justify its enrichment.
- Modifications are implemented which further empower the government, eliminate necessary restraints on government power, and infringe upon the rights and liberties of the citizenry.
As it concerns PSOs several other important contextual parameters must be understood.
The debasement of public education has included the elimination of the study of the history and theory of human rights, the strict avoidance of the theoretical study of republics, the forced illiteracy of the rights and liberties guaranteed to the citizenry, the abnegation of civil duties, and an engineered illiteracy of the constitutional framework of government. In practice this means that newer batches of citizens are unaware of their constitutionally protected rights, disinclined to come to the defense of their civil rights, and unaware of their civil duties to restrain the tyrannical exercise of government power. These factors significantly contribute to the general public’s anemic response to these types of operations.
Furthermore, governments that engage in PSOs can be understood as having reached a post-republic authoritarian paradigm. The pathological deterioration of a republic has reached a point in which the fundamental paradigms of republics have been forsaken and the growth of corruption and self-interest has led to the unrepentant exercise of criminality and tyranny. In this state governmental authority primarily serves the interest of the ruling establishment, the government is willing to engage in egregious criminality directed at its own citizenry, and the government has institutionalized deception as it concerns its dealings with the public. While the government may avidly utilize the trappings and rhetoric of republics in its use of propaganda, its core functions are not in the service of the people. During the course of an operation participating governments concern themselves with the control and manipulation of public sentiment and inhibit its authentic expression. Such corrupted governments do not wish to be reformed or restrained by public opinion.
During the course of a PSO, the public’s perception, sentiments, and outrage are carefully controlled and manipulated through the aggressive use of psychological warfare and the full mobilization of the capabilities of the propaganda apparatus. Special considerations are given to the use of emotional manipulation, irrationality, and distorted perception in steering public opinion.
The range of actions taken by governments during PSOs exceeds the pathological actions of diseased republics in response to governmental malpractice. By definition these operations are far beyond government malpractice, they are heinous government criminality of the highest order conducted in a premeditated manner. As such, great care must be taken to hide the involvement of the government and members of the ruling establishment in the creation of the crisis, obscure government malfeasance, and obviate the public’s perception of any governmental malpractice.
Aggressive and merciless psychological warfare is conducted on audiences which quickly hijacks their perception and opinion as it concerns the crisis situation. The righteous fury that should be properly directed at governments is redirected as necessary so as to maintain public support for the government’s pseudo-solutions and the agendas of an operation. Often the public’s fury is skillfully directed externally towards a foreign scapegoat deemed the “enemy.” Most often such external scapegoats are directly or indirectly made victims of the crisis and are not responsible for its creation. Externalizing the public’s wrath assists in the malicious engineering of a false “unity” and the coalescence of public support around the government. Any remnant instincts by the public to pursue the normal and natural outrage directed toward governments is drowned out by the propaganda apparatus or subsumed by the momentum of the masses who blindly stampede in the desired directions.
It is also of critical importance to ensure that:
- The public remains unaware that the government has already been empowered many orders of magnitude greater than what is necessary for the prediction, early detection and preemption of the crisis.
- The public is prevented from grasping the government’s true knowledge base, intelligence gathering capabilities, and expertise which are more than sufficient for the prediction, early detection, and preemption of the crisis.
- Preventing the public from realizing the near impossibility of the crisis occurring due to established protocols and procedures which would have required intentional malfeasance and willful inaction by the government in order to occur.
- Obscure the general nature of the inner workings of government, its true power, the extent of its capabilities, and the direct culpability of government officials and institutions in creating the crisis.
- Prevent the public’s realization that the government is using the “crisis” to reward its own criminality and malpractice via empowering and enriching itself (as well as associated corrupt individuals and corporations).
- Obscure the past and continued malpractice of the government necessary for the continuation of the “crisis.”
- Obscure the true nature of the agendas that are being furthered and the ramifications of the pseudo-solutions.
- Obscure the pseudo-solution’s adverse impacts to public interests and the abrogation of critical rights and liberties.
These are critical considerations for the proper manipulation of public opinion. Directing of the public’s response in regards to the “crisis” and implanting pseudo-solutions is a straightforward exercise in psychological warfare so long as these aspects are given careful consideration. Failure to do so can lead to meaningful critical thought on the part of the citizenry and increasing realizations of the seriousness of the government malpractice that is taking place. If this occurs increasing numbers of the citizenry will begin readjusting their outrage towards the government and their opinions will reflect a better understanding of the nature of the operation.
Weaponization of Social Dynamics:
The weaponization of social dynamics is a general strategy employed by governments and the international propaganda apparatus for the purposes of engineering ideological and behavioral conformity and reorienting natural instincts and behavioral patterns in service of governmental authority. The strategy can have acute applications but is increasing being implemented as standard practice in the exercise of control over public thought and behavior. While the weaponization of social dynamics can be induced acutely it works best under circumstances in which propaganda and psychological warfare have been used extensively over the course of decades to train audiences into false paradigms of perception and reasoning. This perceptual conditioning utilizes repeated disinformation, emotional conditioning, and the acceptance of false tropes over an extended period of time in order to readily manipulate audiences’ perceptions and emotions when needed. As it concerns PSOs, this strategy is of great importance especially early on when public incredulity and skepticism towards official narratives is at its highest.
The weaponization of social dynamics generally seeks to:
- Reorient natural instincts and behaviors in a pathological manner which compromises collective interests while furthering those of governmental authority.
- Offset the logistical burden of establishing ideological totalitarianism by training audiences to become active participants in the ideological coercion and manipulation of their fellow citizens and enforcers of ideological and behavioral conformity.
- Create an environment hostile towards ideological and behavioral nonconformists in which exercising intellectual autonomy and self-sovereignty can have severe social consequences. This weaponized social environment usually leads to the alienation and isolation of nonconformists which discourages nonconformity and greatly facilitates their sociopolitical persecution.
- Perceptually condition audiences, induce them into propaganda matrices, and train them into the uncritical acceptance of weaponized tropes.
As is the case with social species, human nature balances the expression of individuality with concerns for the collective wellbeing. Under normal circumstances these two aspects of the human condition are in a harmonious balance where an individual feels able to freely express themselves and is able to effectively function as a member of a social group. This balance between individualism and collectivism is not rigid in the human species with evolutionary pressures and sociobiological dynamics shaping the evolution of specific cultures. Cultures and civilizations generally fall within a broad spectrum of these two traits while still maintaining a reasonable social balance. A meaningful exploration into sociology, sociobiology, evolutionary biology, and the other areas of formal study that touch upon this topic is beyond the scope of treatise. What is of concern is that:
- There are natural innate instincts to conform especially as it concerns aspects critical to ideal social functioning, group wellbeing, and survival.
- There are instinctual drives to pressure others into conformity especially as it concerns collective protection, survival, wellbeing, and for the maintenance of ideal social dynamics.
- Social pressures to conform are strongly influenced by group wellbeing or its perception. The perception that others thoughts or behaviors compromise one’s individual safety or group wellbeing is sufficient to evoke strong social pressures to conform regardless of whether the perception is accurate.
- There are instinctual hostilities towards those that compromise group wellbeing and conversely there is instinctual empathy, emotional bonding, and rapport with those that contribute to group wellbeing.
- There is strong instinctual hostility towards forced, unnatural, and excessive conformity and the infringement of self-sovereignty.
- Under natural conditions, individualism and individual expression are not oppressively suppressed but rather find appropriate avenues of expression that are in harmony with group wellbeing and established dynamics. The suppression of individuality and authentic thought is deleterious to individual functioning and can compromise group dynamics.
The weaponization of the instincts of conformity is a simple function of the manipulation of these general dynamics.
Often all that is required to inflame the instincts of conformity is to falsely portray the nonconformists as a danger to individual safety or group wellbeing. This is almost universally false and intentional slanderous with the truth often being that the nonconformists are harmless or are attempting to inform the public of information which is critical to the public welfare. Furthermore, the demonization of nonconformists also assists in misdirecting audiences from perceiving government criminality, egregious infringements of self-sovereignty, and the true nature of authoritarian policies. Attempts to correct the misperceptions of psychological warfare and inject grounded logic into public discourse is often simply countered by emotional manipulation and propagandistic repetition in which the intentionally slanderous assertions are repeated without attempting to address the logical argument. The false portrayal of nonconformists as “dangerous,” propagandistic repetition, and emotionally manipulative tactics are often all that is required to inflame survival instincts, evoke pathological expressions of the instincts of conformity, induce audiences into entrenched patterns of irrational emotional reasoning, and provoke hostility and/or violence towards nonconformists.
This general tactic is often accompanied by the intentional incitement and goading of audiences into actively engaging in the persecution of nonconformists usually with very specific instructions as to what should be done. As it concerns PSOs, this usually entails instructing audiences to report individuals to the police, verbally harass them, attempt to socially sabotage them, engage in petty ridicule, and engage in social ostracism. However, the potential for the persecution of nonconformists is nearly limitless and if needed these incitements can be gradually increased to extremes of incitements to violence and the engineering of public support for the ruthless persecution of nonconformists. Individuals engaging in such persecutory behavior often fail to grasp the damage to communal bonds these behaviors truly entail.
What is generally misunderstood by audiences when this tactic is being employed is that:
- Almost universally the persecuted nonconformists are being maliciously slandered and portraying them as dangerous is a misdirection from the true dangers to public safety.
- The nonconformists are often attempting to safeguard public welfare and/or defend their individual self-sovereignty. The persecution of these individuals who are critical to the defense of collective interests is ultimately the sidelining of members of a community invaluable to the defense of collective interests and the welfare of social groups.
- By engaging in persecutory behavior individuals are promoting an environment of suspicion and disunity which severely compromises the ability of the public to organize an effective defense of their collective interests. This tactic specifically attempts to foment such toxic environments which amplify the power of governmental authority and greatly aids the implementation of authoritarian governmental policies. These policies are inevitably detrimental to the public’s collective interests as well as the interests of the persecutors themselves.
- The weaponization of social conformity is an exercise in totalitarianism and an indirect infringement of human rights, self-sovereignty, and individual autonomy.
- The use of such tactics by governments or media portends impending tyranny and totalitarianism.
It is helpful to juxtapose natural dynamics with their weaponized counterparts.
In a natural setting, misbehaving individuals who are disrupting the integrity of social dynamics, engaging in predatory behavior directed against other members of their social group, or are compromising the group’s wellbeing or survival provoke instinctual behaviors from the other members of the social group. These instinctual behaviors are proportional to the egregiousness of the behavior and are aimed at correcting the inappropriate or antisocial behavior. Most often the offending individual’s inappropriate behavior is reformed, euphoric feelings are felt by the members of the social group upon return to ideal social dynamics, and the reformed individual does not hold any long-term hostility or desires for retribution for having been reformed. Group wellbeing is optimized, the self-sovereignty of all the individuals within the group is respected, and the public correction of the offending behavior serves to inhibit similar lapses in the standards of behavior by other members of the social group.
In their weaponized counterparts, the state and propaganda apparatus manipulate public perception and utilize psychological terror to foment irrationality, emotional volatility, and blind belief in the official narratives and disinformation campaigns. Great efforts are taken to promote groupthink and pathological dynamics of blind uncritical conformity in which differing thoughts and behaviors are irrationally suppressed. This unnatural conformity is not autonomous by social groups but is in the thrall of governmental authority and the agendas of the state. Concerned individuals who have maintained a degree of equanimity and have preserved their capacity to reason are quick to note the collective descent into shared delusions by other members of society. This is often accompanied by instinctual animosity by these individuals towards the correct perception of infringements of personal sovereignty and human rights.
These concerned individuals may attempt to voice their concerns in logical discourse within their social network, properly mobilize group thinking and actions in a manner which is conducive to their collective interests, or may engage in behavior which is in open defiance of governmental authoritarianism and/or ideological totalitarianism. The natural social behaviors of alerting the group to danger or mobilizing group efforts for the safeguarding of collective interests is falsely made to appear as inappropriate social misbehavior and/or despicable antisocial behavior. The attempts of these concerned individuals to engage in corrective actions is met with obstinate resistance, hostility, and aggression due to the weaponization of social dynamics. The natural corrective forces on group dynamics are subverted and this is often accompanied by the alienation of those attempting to safeguard collective interests.
Furthermore, efforts are taken to slander concerned individuals and nonconformists by falsely portraying them as “dangerous” to individual safety and group wellbeing. These misperceptions engineered via the use of psychological warfare can be adjusted as needed in order to inspire increasingly extreme sociopolitical persecution of concerned individuals. The threat these individuals pose to governmental policies due to their potential to awaken the masses and correcting misperceptions is mitigated by these tactics and audiences are instead recruited as active participants in the establishment of ideological and behavioral totalitarianism.
Another tactic critical to the weaponization of social dynamics is the strategic use of tropes and “tropish” epithets. This tactic is generally implemented over long periods of time which allows for the programming of audiences with sets of very specific sentiments, opinions, and perceptions associated with a trope which can then be utilized tactically when needed to evoke the preprogrammed psychological reactions. If necessary, tropes can be engineered in relatively short periods of time (especially with the aggressive use of propagandistic repetition) however cultivating tropes over the course of decades greatly improves their overall effectiveness.
This tactic involves the creation of a trope which functions as a flexible micro-propaganda matrix. The trope is engineered over an extended period of time through the use of propaganda in which audiences’ perceptions are repeatedly conditioned and they are surreptitiously taught to associate negative emotions, disinformation, and slanderous irrational conclusions with the trope. These associations functionally render the trope into a sociopolitical epithet. Any range of misperceptions or disinformation can be associated with the trope, however common themes associated with tropes are that “they” (the targets of the trope) are dangerous, subversive, untrustworthy, unworthy of being listened to, worthy of ostracism, worthy of ridicule, and meriting contempt.
In practice, weaponized tropes functions more than as a mere epithet but metaphorically as a form of social leprosy. Individuals labeled with the tropish epithet find themselves immediately on the defensive facing ostracism, derision, and ridicule while propagandists merely have to repeat commonly held misconceptions and misperceptions to further defame, discredit, and silence the target individuals. Any attempts at productive rational sociopolitical discourse becomes nigh impossible as audiences have been trained to disbelieve and avoid such individuals on command. Individuals slandered with tropish epithets find that they must prove that they are not untrustworthy, not subversive, etcetera, rather than focusing on the merit of their arguments and the critical importance of the information and opinions they are providing. This severely impedes and frustrates their efforts to shed light on critical topics. The tactical use of such tropish epithets functions to immediately discredit and silence dissidents and nonconformists while steering audiences away from critical information or meritorious opinions.
This technique is far less effective when used on those who have had formal training in logic, reasoning, rhetoric, and formal argumentation. However, recent successes in the dumbing down of the world’s citizenry combined with decades of social engineering has allowed the use of the ad hominem fallacy and exercises in petty slander to be far more effective than they otherwise would be within the realm of public discourse. Governments may often employ social engineering and propaganda over the course of decades to create a small arsenal of tropes which can be used strategically when necessary in order to manipulate public opinion or avert public attention from information which sheds light on government criminality or the disturbing realities of government agendas.
Certain aspects of the weaponization of social dynamics were already covered in the section on the strategy of tension especially as it concerns survival instincts, stress reactions, and weaponized fear. The net effect of these tactics is the hijacking of highly evolved survival and prosocial instincts critical to individual and group survival with their repurposing in service of political agendas that are decidedly against the collective interests of audiences. In so doing these instincts cease to be beneficial to individual and group dynamics but instead become pathologically dysfunctional and serve to inhibit the ability of individuals and groups to properly safeguard their collective interests.
Furthermore, the weaponization of social dynamics seeks not merely to subvert social and interpersonal dynamics but to recruit audiences into performing unpaid propaganda and social subversion services. Different governmental authorities throughout history have relied on the use of agent provocateurs, undercover agents, infiltrators, informants, shills, agents of influence, etcetera in order to preempt, disrupt, or co-opt political discourse and sociopolitical organization efforts. These are generally paid services and their widespread use can strain the financial resources of authoritarian states. It is both convenient and fiscally efficient to employ resources towards psychological warfare with the aim of propagandizing and indoctrinating audiences into performing the necessary services free of charge. Propagandized individuals primarily serve the purposes of reinforcing propaganda onto other members of their social group and disrupting conversations which do not conform with governmental agendas. If needed, audiences can be further trained, propagandized, and goaded into functioning as informants and persecutors of their fellow citizens.
Further contemporary context is necessary as it concerns the weaponization of social dynamics within the scope of PSOs. Social engineering trends for the last few decades have aimed at:
- Dividing the public along irreconcilable party lines. Essentially a standard application of the classic divide and rule strategy in which divisions are engineered and inflamed in order to foment disunity and social division. This has been predominantly performed via engineering audiences into blind, irrational, and zealous affinity for their preferred political party and the weaponization of wedge issues, identity politics, and sociopolitical controversy. By design contemporary political environments are increasingly hostile, irrational, and extreme. Issues of universal importance which under normal circumstances would inspire universal support and mobilize pan-partisan efforts are either ignored or artificially politicized in order to prevent the beginnings of united social mobilization.
- Promoting apolitical sentiments and sociopolitical apathy. The engineered extreme toxicity of political environments has been used to propagandize individuals into being generally apolitical, apathetic, and demoralized as it concerns politics and sociopolitical issues of importance. These sentiments of disgust and demoralization preempt sociopolitical mobilization especially during critical times as it concerns the serious issues at the core of contemporary agendas.
- Training audiences to avoid political discourse and serious meaningful conversation. Although meaningful conversations concerning important matters is a natural part of human adulthood and political discourse amongst the citizenry is necessary for the proper functioning of a republic, audiences have been trained that it is “impolite,” “rude,” etc. to talk amongst themselves about important issues especially as it concerns politics, ideology, philosophy, or sociopolitical issues of contemporary importance. This unnatural aversion to engage in substantive conversation inhibits the flow of ideas, blocks the reaffirmation of shared sentiments, and greatly diminishes the ability to engage in sociopolitical organization. This is further aided by the social engineering of audiences into conversing irrationally, emotionally, and abrasively when discussing politics rather than the natural calm, considerate, and rational discourse usually displayed by citizens of a republic.
- Training audiences to avoid “the negative.” Audiences have been socially engineered to exhibit a perplexing dichotomy of behaviors in which they ardently avoid conversing amongst themselves in regards to what they have been trained to perceive as “negative” yet are able to continuously expose themselves to extremely negative and emotionally distressing psychological terrorism and inflammatory disinformation through their mass media consumption. What is deemed to be “negative” can be almost anything although generally it is of critical importance and worthy of being discussed. Things that are deemed too “negative” for interpersonal conversation can include government criminality, foreign policy (especially as it concerns war), government malpractice, corporate malfeasance, sociopolitical agendas, political corruption, etcetera. Audiences have instead been trained to engage in mindless frivolous conversation about matters of no great consequence. This serves to infantilize their thought processes and confer a puerile quality to their social interactions. Furthermore, at an individual level it serves to make them acutely unaware of unmistakable political trends towards authoritarianism and totalitarianism.
The combination of these successes in social engineering have greatly aided the general ability to manipulate social dynamics. However, during the course of a PSO these factors play an important role in preventing audiences from scrutinizing the nature of the shifting social paradigms, lambasting the overt acts of government criminality, and marshaling their social networks towards timely activism. Audiences are liable to engage in nervous frivolity as their world is malignantly transformed before their very eyes.
During PSOs the weaponization of social dynamics plays an important role in enforcing the credulity of official narratives and establishing ideological totalitarian control especially during the critical early phases of an operation in which incredulity, disbelief, and skepticism are at their highest levels. The intensity of the psychological warfare campaign of a PSO activates the full powers of the international propaganda apparatus and is remarkably effective in establishing totalitarian ideological control. However, within the privacy of social groups in which governmental authority does not have direct control, independent autonomous conversations can quickly become micro-forums in which doubts, grievances, and concerns can be freely aired. If left unchecked, these micro-forums and independent interpersonal interactions serve to reinforce incredulity of official narratives and bulwark opposition to governmental policies and agendas. Such dynamics have the potential to grow from scattered skeptics and nonconformists into massive organized opposition which may attempt to further awaken audiences from the deceptions of psychological warfare and mobilize the public in defense of their collective interests. The weaponization of social dynamics aims to preempt such an eventuality and foment an environment hostile towards organized opposition.
Strategic acclimatization is the strategy of imposing undesired undemocratic changes upon a society in a sequential manner usually implementing relatively minor changes at any given time which over time add up to drastic sociopolitical changes. The desired endpoints are usually egregiously detrimental to the general citizenry and nigh impossible to implement overtly in a sudden manner. Attempting to do so would alert the citizenry to the nature of the agendas that are being foisted upon them, provoke universal vehement opposition, and crystallize organized opposition to the agendas. Thus, agendas are broken down into phases each with preplanned sequential steps and timetables with the overarching agenda implemented in a deceptive manner over a set time period. Doing so allows audiences to become acclimated to small uncomfortable changes which are disagreeable but not sufficiently crass as to mobilize popular resistance. The strategy is most often employed within the political sphere and for the purposes of social engineering. In common parlance strategic acclimatization has come to be referred to as “boiling the frogs” or “the totalitarian tip-toe” both of which connote the gradual nature of the strategy and the sinister intent of its use. This strategy is used in an accelerated manner during the course of PSOs in order to rapidly implement changes while taking full advantage of the variable states of mass panic, irrationality, and confusion.
In standard political application the strategy can be abstractly understood as being conducted in 3 phases: an initiation phase, ratcheting phase, and consolidation phase.
- Initiation Phase: an initial legislation, agenda, policy, etcetera is implemented which appears relatively innocuous and benign. Often propaganda is heavily used prior to the introduction of the initial legislation to generate public support or sympathy for the planned legislation. Political justifications are given as to why this novel change is required which superficially appears to be reasonable. However, upon closer inspection the justifications can be universally understood as intentionally misrepresenting the true nature of the sociopolitical situation and the changes themselves are unnecessary and unwarranted. Great efforts are taken to point out the “beneficial” aspects of the novel changes which serves to convince the public of the beneficence and “need” for the changes. This also indirectly serves to portray detractors of the changes as being hyperbolic, reactionary, and irresponsible. Politicians and the propaganda apparatus will often attempt to create a sense of urgency as to why the changes must be implemented without delay. Astute political observers will often raise legitimate concerns regarding the novel change and correctly predict the “slippery slope” of where such novel changes will eventually lead. Politicians will profusely deny that the novel changes will be expanded upon and will often specifically deny the ultimate desired endpoints of the agendas. The novel changes are implemented with relatively minor opposition and left unaltered for a set period of time.
- Ratcheting Phase: after a set amount of time has passed from the initiation of the agenda, alterations, modifications, and enhancements are made to the initial political legislation. The great majority of these changes are made in a furtive manner which intentionally escape public attention although a few of these advancements of the agenda do get coverage in the press. On the occasions that the advancements of the agenda do get news coverage they get minor coverage which does not highlight the importance of the enhancements of the legislation and which do not attempt to give proper context within the scope of overarching agenda. Almost the entirety of the agenda is advanced surreptitiously over an extended period of time with an extreme minority of persons (usually within specialized fields) fully grasping the sequential alterations and their implications. Some of the enhancements are done internally within government agencies although a great many are performed in an overt manner which can be tracked by the public. However, these public expansions of the agenda are performed in a manner which intentionally makes tracking the changes an onerous endeavor. Efforts are made to spread many of the advancements of the agendas across multiple legislations thereby making the full rollback of the agenda exceedingly difficult if not politically impossible.
- Consolidation Phase: the agendas behind the use of the strategy are implemented in earnest and overtly. The public is intentionally made aware their new sociopolitical normalcy with their gradual acclimatization having preempted any meaningful resistance to the agendas. Often, given the gradual nature of the changes newer generations of the citizenry are not even aware of the previous state of sociopolitical functioning and do not perceive the agendas as being authoritarian, unnatural, and detrimental to their collective interests.
Due to the manner in which strategic acclimatization is conducted it is by design difficult to combat and defend against. Undoubtedly the best chance the general public has in safeguarding their collective interests is in blocking the initiation phase. On the occasions that the initiation phase is successfully blocked, the ruling establishment will often repeatedly attempt to begin the process once more usually in an increasingly surreptitious and underhanded manner.
Within the scope of PSOs strategic acclimatization is significantly modified to fit the operational parameters of accelerated sociopolitical transformation. The modified phases can be understood as follows:
- Initiation Phase: the PSO’s “crisis” is used as the justification to pass prewritten legislation or implement preplanned emergency measures which are obvious in their extreme nature and overt in their infringements of civil rights and basic liberties. Often these acts of legislation or emergency measures can include massive expansions of government and governmental authority. The entrenched political corruption is mobilized in full to pass the legislation on the first attempt or the emergency measures are implemented undemocratically by the current administration. The agendas are far more overt and onerous with the detrimental effects to the public being undeniable. Politicians will often attempt to assuage the public with false promises that the authoritarian measures are only temporary. Furthermore, the media is used to great effect to engross audiences in aspects of the crisis situation while barely covering the massive and sudden sociopolitical changes that are occurring. Audiences are often only tangentially aware of the systemic changes that are unfolding and are never substantially informed of the nature of the transformations.
- Ratcheting Phase: the emergency measures continue getting renewed and the “crisis” situation is never conclusively resolved. The political changes are complemented by aggressive social engineering which is used to acclimate audiences into an unresistant acceptance of the increasingly extreme sociopolitical transformations. The failure to resolve the crisis serves as the primary justification to keep the initial legislation indefinitely. Often, more legislation or emergency measures are passed within a relatively short period of time which significantly expand upon the initial legislative act cementing the temporary measures as the new state of normalcy. These additional expansions of the agenda are performed overtly with the public being made explicitly aware of their introduction and their implications. The excuses of “necessity” are again used to justify the passage of more expansions of government and increases in authoritarian power. Psychological warfare and social engineering are used during each of the transitions in order to control public perception, coerce audiences into the acceptance of the new sociopolitical paradigms, and preempt organized sociopolitical opposition.
- Consolidation Phase: after sufficient time has passed the public is made to understand the true nature of the agendas behind the initial legislation. Odious “new normals” are increasingly foisted upon the public in an overt manner with the full powers of the propaganda apparatus manipulating public perception into glib acquiescence to the new totalitarian sociopolitical realities.
The innate design of PSOs allows for accelerated sociopolitical transformation within relatively short periods of time with the use of modification of strategic acclimatization reflecting these operational parameters. Accelerated strategic acclimatization is not merely used within the realm of politics but by necessity also within the scope of social engineering. During the critical active phases of a PSO, social engineering and psychological warfare are aggressively used to move audiences in an accelerated manner through phases of normalcy toward the desired endpoints. Furthermore, the social engineering is a critical component in the acceptance of the new totalitarian sociopolitical realities and the inhibition of organized public opposition to the agendas of a PSO.
Living the Deception:
The ambitious nature of these operations as well as their immense scale require a comprehensive holistic approach to deceptions in order to recruit audiences in becoming active participants in their collective deception. The measures taken during PSOs are scales of magnitude greater than standard covert actions and the routine deceptions played upon audiences instead requiring the activation of the full powers of the propaganda apparatus and social engineering infrastructure. A great many and varied efforts are undertaken with the aim of making the overarching deception a living reality with a diverse range of frauds crafted in order to reinforce and bulwark the major ruses of the PSO. The sum total of these Herculean efforts is a world saturated with micro-deceptions, states of mass delusions, and an ever-accelerating social momentum towards the desired endpoints of an operation.
Some contextual information is necessary in order to appreciate the realities of the standard application of propaganda and the increased measures which are employed during PSOs.
The nature of the international propaganda apparatus was already previously discussed, however it should be reiterated that the standard consumption of media and “news” by international audiences is saturated with information warfare and disinformation campaigns. The standard output of the propaganda apparatus is at best slanted in its presentation and at worst outright fabrications and egregious disinformation. Furthermore, the ever-decreasing attention span of audiences (which is directly related to the negative influences of weaponized technology) has led to propagandists viewing audiences’ attention spans as a precious resource. As much propaganda and disinformation as possible is crammed into visual and print media to accommodate the ever-decreasing attention spans of audiences. This has led to a general output of highly condensed propaganda in all forms of media and the utilization of embedded propaganda in advertisements which benefit from propagandistic repetition.
During the course of these types of operations, information spheres are saturated with information warfare and are complemented by the aggressive use of additional tactics which increase the effectiveness of the campaigns of deception. These include:
- Literary output of propaganda: hundreds of books are published on the subject matter of the PSO with many of these books making it into best-seller lists. The books may incorporate half-truths but in general they are dedicated literary propaganda saturated with disinformation especially designed to appeal to the intellectual classes of society. Conversely, meritorious literary works which eviscerate the ruses of PSOs, elucidate the agendas behind an operation, or correctly explain any covert actions related to a PSO are driven into obscurity and remain elusive to the intelligentsia naturally interested in such works.
- Mercenary armies of pseudo-experts: thousands of mercenary pseudo-experts are employed across all forms of media to push the talking points of the agendas of a PSO. Usually mercenary pseudo-experts are preferred to independent pseudo-experts who were indoctrinated and propagandized in academic disinformation as independent pseudo-experts’ opinions may vary but mercenary pseudo-expert opinions are controlled, uniform, and on-point with the agendas of an operation.
- Corruption of Academic fields: key academic fields of importance to a PSO are especially targeted for corruption and entire pseudo-academic fields (who have as their foundation propaganda and disinformation) can be created as needed. The corruption and manipulation of academia has been standard practice by intelligence services for decades, however during the course of a PSO academia is aggressively targeted with the intent of forcibly bending academia in service of the ruses of an operation and in order to further the agendas of a PSO. This serves several functions including the standardized indoctrination of the intellectual classes, the training of a propagandized class of dedicated functionaries necessary for the agendas of PSOs, and to lend overall legitimacy to chicanery of an operation.
- Pseudo-knowledge production: a prolific output of pseudo-knowledge and disinformation is employed to create the superficial appearance of professionalism and provide false legitimacy to the chicanery of a PSO. This can range from academia, investigative journalism, geopolitical analysis, science, medicine, law, politics, etcetera. Pseudo-knowledge and disinformation are produced as needed in order to create a seamless deception which encompasses all of society, from the lowest of the working classes to the specialized classes, business elite, intelligentsia, and the political establishment.
- Behaviorism techniques: advances in applied behavioral psychology are used within the psychological warfare of PSOs. Disinformation campaigns within psychological warfare are themselves incredibly effective at transforming the psychology and schematic understanding of reality of audiences, however the incorporation of behaviorism techniques improves the effectiveness of psychological warfare and the efficiency of social engineering. By encouraging audiences to live out the delusions of the PSO and forcing audiences to modify their behavior as a consequence of the deceptions, audiences must not only accept the ruses of PSOs but personally experience the transformations of their world. Audiences are made to become actors within their collective descent into deception and delusion. This cements the acceptance of the ruses of a PSO and functions to irreversibly alter the accepted social paradigms at the level of the individual.
- Repetitions of reaffirmation: the international propaganda apparatus, armies of social influencers, culture industries, and the social engineering infrastructure are mobilized to reinforce the deceptions of the PSO. Repeated reaffirmation and propagandistic repetition are utilized to forcibly indoctrinate audiences at a conscious and subconscious level with an uncritical acceptance of the ruses of a PSO. This takes the form of the incessant repetition of key words within audiovisual media, propaganda inserts which reaffirm acceptance of a PSO’s ruse (within media which is wholly unrelated to the subject matter), social influencers demonstrating unquestioning acceptance of deceptions and obedience to behavioral impositions, etcetera. The constant inescapable reaffirmation of a PSOs ruses, the visual inculcation of audiences by social influencers into behavioral modification, and subconscious driving of propaganda into the minds of audiences serves to shift the sociobehavioral norms and transition the ideological paradigms of societies.
- Potemkin tactics: for the purposes of this treatise Potemkin tactics and strategies are those involving the use of real-life means to create deceptions which superficially appear legitimate but upon closer inspection are understood to be designed to fool or deceive. Potemkin tactics are widely employed during PSOs to bulwark the major deceptions of an operation and to give an appearance of legitimacy to the central crisis of the operation. Potemkin tactics can employ scripted events or incidences, covert actions, the creation of entire facilities (which are unused or functionally useless), scripted court cases, the use of patsies, etcetera, all of which give a material substance to what would otherwise be the theoretical deceptions of PSOs. A great many and varied Potemkin tactics are used during PSOs and in their aftermath to maintain and strengthen the central deceptions of an operation.
- Creation of unnecessary ancillary products and services: entire economic sectors and sections of government are created for the purposes of providing relatively useless products and services related to the ruses of a PSO. These often impractical and superfluous products and services take advantage of the engineered “needs” created by the crisis situation. At the level of government, it is used to justify authoritarian expansions of government power. At the level of the economic and financial sectors, it serves to magnificently enrich the ruling establishment. However, the utility of this approach is far more than merely profiting from the creation and servicing of artificial needs. The greatest utility of these tactics is in the creation of entire superfluous economic sectors which serve to continuously lobby governments in the desired sociopolitical direction and to give substance to the ruses and deceptions of a PSO.
The net effect of the holistic approach to deceptions within PSOs is a robustness of the major frauds that are played upon audiences. It should be noted that while the crisis situation of a PSO is engineered, its effects (especially those that are markedly detrimental) may be extremely real. Ultimately, the irreality of the deceptions are made to emulate the real by way of artifice, are designed to have real impacts on the lives of average persons, and force audiences to modify their thoughts and behaviors in service of the ruses of an operation. These efforts serve to force the irreversible seismic shifts of paradigms in the desired directions during the course of an operation.
Impunity for the Criminal Perpetrators:
These types of operations ensure immunity from investigation and prosecution as well as the necessary political and media cover to all the members and functionaries of an operation. The impunity of the powerful and well-connected is not an attribute specific to PSOs and is a general hallmark of societies who have reached critical levels of corruption. However, the crass and brazen total impunity granted to all the individuals involved in such operations is extremely noteworthy given the sheer scale of such operations in which overt acts of criminality are performed repeatedly by great numbers of public functionaries.
Some contextual information regarding impunity for abuses of power is warranted. The general trends throughout human history are that societies closer to paradigms of ideal sociopolitical functioning do not compromise when it comes to matters of corruption and criminality. Criminality must be appropriately dealt with by societies in order to preempt, discourage, and correct undesirable behaviors. This is especially so in cases involving criminality by the powerful and wealthy which tend to be of larger scale and more consequential to the whole of society than the crimes of the lower classes. Corruption is a far more serious concern than criminality as it has the potential of causing serious social dysfunction and can lead to the eventual collapse of a civilization. The unchecked potential of corruption is akin to a cancer upon society which hijacks the normal functions of a society in service of its own self-interested ends. The destructive potential of unchecked corruption knows no limitations as far as its ability to cause societal harm.
In societies closer to an inverted paradigm of sociopolitical functioning corruption and criminality are commonplace with corruption being standard in the exercise of governmental authority and the dealings of powerful interests. In such societies, the sociopolitical bodies which would naturally eradicate or suppress corruption have either been disbanded, captured by networks of corruption, made impotent in their ability to perform their duties, or some combination thereof. The society may or may not be overt in its sociopolitical paradigm of corruption. If the society is not overt in its corrupt practices the perception of the masses is manipulated as needed in order to hide the corrupt realities from the citizenry. Any attempt of such a covert system of corruption to present itself as possessing honesty and rectitude is political theater.
Oftentimes in such systems of covert corruption, charges of corruption are used as a political weapon by the corrupt in order to eliminate political rivals rather than these charges being appropriately used to combat corruption. The victims of the charges of corruption may be guilty of corruption but oftentimes they are completely innocent of any corrupt practices. The use of such charges in this manner essentially renders them solely a weapon of political persecution.
A whole range of signs and symptoms are associated with the transformation of a society from variably ideal states of functioning to corrupt inverted paradigms of sociopolitical functioning. A meaningful exploration of this subject is beyond the scope of this treatise however it is relevant to note that PSOs by their very nature and design can only be successfully conducted in systems of entrenched inverted sociopolitical functioning. The entirety of a PSO, from its planning, set-up, execution, and aftermath, are exercises in heinous premeditated criminality of the highest order. These types of operations are not conducted in systems with variably ideal sociopolitical functioning in which uncorrupted systems would alert the public and conduct appropriate investigations with the eventual prosecution of the wanton criminality of the perpetrators. Rather, these operations are conducted in systems in which:
- The political systems are firmly in the corrupt control of the ruling establishment with no chance of that control being seized or abridged.
- The control over the media is near absolute with little fear that uncorrupted investigative journalists could reach a wider audience.
- The impunity of all the necessary functionaries of the operation can be guaranteed.
- Any impediments to the operation can be dealt with quickly and decisively.
Essentially, the societies have already reached a state of authoritarianism and totalitarianism even if that reality is obscured from general audiences.
These types of operations can be abstractly understood as having two major components, a covert component and an overt component. As is standard with covert action, the covert component of a PSO is vigorously denied even in situations in which undeniable proof is uncovered which demonstrates the true nature of the operation. Under such circumstances the standard practices of holding the line, vigorous denial, admitting nothing, and counterattacking individuals alerting the public of serious criminality is implemented as necessary.
However, as it concerns the overt component there are clear and undeniable instances of government criminality and overall trends of governmental malfeasance that are performed overtly and are part of the public record. Even these instances of undeniable criminality, malfeasance, and malpractice are thoroughly mitigated through the use of various strategies so as to ensure public nescience of criminality and the maintenance of false respectability for all the governmental bodies and the individuals involved. Not merely are the individuals involved not investigated or prosecuted, great effort is undertaken to ensure they receive no public censure or incur ignominy as a consequence of their actions against the citizenry.
The media is used to great effect in these regards. As previously stated, audiences have been trained to be relatively incapable of accepting a reality other than what is presented by the media. This is complemented by the abuse of audiences’ collective amnesia of past events which can be metaphorically likened to an infant that has yet to develop object permanence: audiences accept something as true and real if the media vigorously waves it in front of them but shortly after this stops being the case what was presented to them ceases to exist in their minds and is quickly forgotten.
For a great many amongst audiences if the media is not actively pointing out criminal behavior by public officials they are incapable of deducing it on their own. Furthermore, it is standard practice for the media to cultivate a false respectability of government officials especially when they are in the very process of performing overt criminal activity. This media coordination aids in the public acceptance of the criminal acts, minimizes public outrage, reduces the likelihood of organized opposition, ensures the success of sociopolitical agendas, and assist government functionaries in defrauding the public. Again, this overt media collusion is not fully understood by a great many within contemporary audiences despite overt repeated occurrences.
The ability to ensure the impunity of all the individuals involved in such operations, regardless of how overt and brazen their criminal activity may be, ensures an operational efficiency and the full compliance of the functionaries of the operation. Quite often those individuals performing critical functions during the course of a PSO are richly rewarded for their participation in the operation which further creates incentives for the enthusiastic participation of corrupt individuals in these coordinated criminal acts against public interests.
The Future of Paradigm Shifting Operations
Paradigm Shifting Operations have undeniably become the preferred method by which the ruling establishment brings to fruition their agendas and implement their desired sociopolitical transformations. This preference is not unreasonable given the magnitude of the change that can be implemented within exceedingly short periods of time and the current record of incredible successes this novel type of operation has produced. Thus far, past PSOs have had a perfect record of introducing the desired political transformations and an excellent albeit imperfect record of achieving desired geopolitical goals. At the level of societal transformations, PSOs have initially been able to transition social thought and behavior to desired endpoints. However, the growth of the alternative media and the increasing trends towards self-deprogramming of audiences from established propaganda matrices has created a significant undercurrent of resistance which may affect the future successes of these operations. Nonetheless, the current trends are towards ever-larger, more ambitious operations which will radically alter the course of human history.
Thus far these operations have been conducted in a manner which clearly demonstrates the degree of surveillance and monitoring of the international citizenry for the purposes of social control. Popular sentiments of skepticism have been countered by rapid aggressive psychological warfare campaigns aimed at overcoming incredulity and forcing acceptance of official narratives and sociopolitical agendas. The constant monitoring of the alternative media and its growing audience has led to official responses by government officials attempting to counter alternative media arguments within hours of the publication of written and/or audiovisual media. Furthermore, growing dissatisfaction and currents of hostility during critical moments in which the citizenry’s collective interests are being eviscerated have been expertly managed by timely divide and rule tactics as well as “distract and destroy” ploys which have successfully preempted the boiling of discontent and organized opposition in many countries.
For the purposes of this treatise, distract and destroy tactics are those that encourage audiences to either be distracted with the mindless consumption of entertainment or be engrossed with contrived controversies which are irrelevant to the contemporary issues of importance as audiences’ collective interests are actively decimated. The attempts at distraction are designed to assist in the success of agendas which infringe upon collective interests and/or the rights and liberties of the citizenry and preempts the timely appropriate focus of audiences on critical issues and by extension their mobilization in defense of their interests.
The use of divide and rule tactics during PSOs has been performed via the contemporary standards of the weaponization of identity politics and wedge issues though increasingly in an international scope in which the weaponized politics of one continent are forced upon the political environment of another. This is increasingly the international application of this strategy though its efficiency is not necessarily consistent between regions. The distract and destroy tactics however have proven to be incredibly successful with audiences being encouraged into patterns of mindless consumption of entertainment which renders them helpless and impotent as their world is malignantly transformed in a manner detrimental to their interests. Furthermore, currents of social discontent are effectively dissipated by the strategic use of engineered pointless controversies which aim to reorient audiences’ focus and consume their energies. The long-term effectiveness of these tactics is yet to be seen though undoubtedly there will be attempts to compensate and innovate if the effectiveness of these strategies diminishes and they are no longer effective at preempting social mobilization. Future application of PSOs will undoubtedly see cycles of surveillance and adaptation aimed at ensuring the success of these types of operations.
The successes of the strategic dumbing down of the citizenry through education must also be noted as far as the future application of PSOs. Recent trends in propaganda and psychological warfare have not demonstrated a particular need to address an increase in public intelligence signifying a confidence in the educational cretinism, low average intelligence, and engineered irrationality of the masses. Indeed, the areas of greatest focused and organized resistance to PSOs has occurred within regions with relatively high-quality public education which creates a significant incentive to aggressively debase public education at a worldwide level. Furthermore, the indoctrination of the young (who do not have the life experience or developed intellectual abilities to resist indoctrination and propaganda) is an increasingly important parameter for the successes of future PSOs. Public education, beyond its ability to stunt intelligence and critical thinking, is playing a vital role in social engineering operations and the acceptance of disinformation critical to future PSOs.
The increasing reliance by the ruling establishment on PSOs and their increasingly ambitious disinformation campaigns are having significant and undeniable effects on science and academia. Initial PSOs relied on relatively minor perversions of science and the strategic persecution of academics whose work was compromising the official narratives of an operation. These effects compromised relatively minor perturbations within the status quo of these fields. However, the scale of the disinformation campaigns of current and future operations is causing an unprecedented deterioration in the integrity of science and academia which will likely have dramatic long-term consequences.
Certain context is noteworthy as it concerns science and academia.
Science largely relies on government grants and/or corporate funding which has historically conferred a great degree of influence by both these sectors over scientific disciplines. These realities are obscured from general audiences despite their great importance. The nescience of this reality combined with an overall dismal scientific literacy has led to the manipulation of audiences with malicious pseudoscience and scientific chicanery. This is further aggravated by the intentional promotion of scientism and the propagandization of audiences into blind credulity of the “scientific.”
Recent trends have shown the reemergence of “tobacco science,” this time with the coordinated collaboration between governments and corporations in their weaponized use of “science” to further profits and agendas. The isolated manipulations of science and medicine as highlighted by the malfeasance of the tobacco industry in the 20th century is now increasingly standard practice for a great number of industries. Contemporary science is plagued by intentional manipulation and fraud which is having significant detrimental effects on the integrity of the sciences.
There exists an ever-increasing divide between the accurate science of industry and government and the pseudoscience made available to society. Corporations are not obligated to publish their internal data in the form of scientific literature and can only be compelled to provide internal data and studies by lawsuits which force disclosure of internal documentation. Even then, there exists an undeniable incentive to destroy or deny incriminating scientific data that demonstrates criminal activity by industries rather than allowing it to become public knowledge through legal discovery. Furthermore, industry quite often conducts what can essentially be termed scientific propaganda in the form of highly biased (often fraudulent) research meant to promote products and services.
Likewise, governments produce an incredible wealth of scientific research only a fraction of which is made publicly available. Much of the covert medical and scientific studies that are funded government (especially as it concerns military advancements) are rarely made available to the public. It is unlikely that the perversion and pollution of science will have any immediate effects on industry or governments, however the effects on society are indisputable.
This contemporary status quo is especially noteworthy as it pertains to the environment within which PSOs are conducted. The increasing trend of PSOs towards the prolific production of scientific disinformation and scientific propaganda will undoubtedly having serious consequences on a field already in the midst of a crisis of integrity.
As it concerns academia, academia in general has been for some time been heavily influenced by the ruling establishment and governmental authorities. The rise of professional intelligence agencies in the 20th century inevitably led to the increasing manipulation of academia and academic circles by intelligence agencies which has led to the manipulation of popular trends within academia and the increasingly strict control over academic discourse. Academia, similar to scientific fields, is vulnerable to manipulation and coercion due to the dependence of universities on government grants and (in many countries) government-funded student loans. Combined with the outright overt influence of academia by the donations of oligarchs and corporations, academic departments are increasingly under the overt influence and direct control of the ruling establishment and national governments.
Academia has been especially noteworthy in its abetting of general government chicanery and have been used extensively to lend academic legitimacy to social engineering operations. The impotence of academia to meaningfully elucidate contemporary geopolitical realities and their misuse to further sociopolitical agendas has had and will continue to have marked detrimental effects on the public’s general perception of academia.
How these types of operations will affect society in the long-term, given their intentional debasement and pollution of academia and science, is yet uncertain. However, the growing reliance on these types of operations and their increased scale will undoubtedly have unprecedented effects on both science and academia. Both fields are ill-equipped to combat their misuse by government and corporate power and both are heavily influenced by both sectors due to the very nature of their funding. Furthermore, there have been noticeable concerning incidences of sociopolitical persecution of whistleblowers and dissidents within these fields with the mobilization of the propaganda apparatus to thoroughly destroy these individuals personally and professionally. This will undoubtedly serve to silence potential dissidents, preempt effective activism against sociopolitical agendas by members of the scientific and academic disciplines, and cultivate a militant groupthink within these fields.
It must also be noted that the fluidity and innovation of the “surveil and adapt” strategy to psychological warfare and disinformation campaigns is not being applied as it concerns the weaponization of science and academia. The current trends demonstrate a crass obstinance, a holding of the line, and a doubling down in regards to disinformation campaigns even in situations in which official narratives have collapsed and the continued attempts at disinformation produce propaganda of markedly inferior quality. The reasoning behind these decisions can only be speculated, what is not up for speculation is the damage to the reputations of science and academia these decisions have had.
The historical manipulations of both of these fields by the ruling establishment and intelligence services was performed in a subtle and artful manner which allowed for the wielding of a great deal of covert social influence while maintaining their unwavering reputations of respectability. It was understood that the appearance of respectability was necessary in order to preserve the long-term effectiveness of the weaponization of these fields. The current trend towards the sloppy graceless overt weaponization of these fields has decimated public trust in science and academia and the deficits in public trust are themselves being “remedied” by additional maladroit psychological warfare. This is especially noteworthy given the psychological warfare campaigns of the last few decades have attempted to cultivated scientism and an uncritical near-religious faith in “science.” Much of the success of future PSOs depends on the cultivation of scientism and the blind acceptance of pseudoscience which will be difficult if the public’s perception of scientists and academics is that of mercenaries and propagandists.
The minor annoyance that was the alternative media in the 20th century was fairly efficiently mitigated by way of acquisition or domestic covert action aimed at limiting their ability to reach audiences and undermining their financial viability. However, the advent of the internet combined with the start of these operations in the 21st century has led to a resurgence of alternative media that is proving challenging to suppress. The ability to interfere with the financial viability of the alternative media is far simpler in the digital age, however the rapidity with which individuals can access alternative sources of information and sift through libraries of audiovisual content and reading material has led to variable spurts of public awakening. This has necessitated campaigns of hostile censorship and exceedingly aggressive psychological warfare specifically aimed at discouraging viewership of the alternative media and preempt ideological nonconformity. Even with these measures, the ability to thoroughly dominate public thought and opinion is an imminent challenge that has the potential of adversely affecting the future successes of these operations.
Current trends in psychological warfare and information warfare have demonstrated the pressing concerns of the ruling establishment in preserving their ability to limit public thought and shape public opinion. The recent censorship campaigns that have been conducted have been predominantly conducted through digital mega-corporations as to preserve the illusion of government respect for human rights. These censorship campaigns have had mixed results as the dedicated audiences of alternative media analysts and news aggregators have shown a willingness to follow their preferred outlets on whatever platforms or mediums are necessary. Too hostile an application of corporate censorship could have serious impacts on the user base of the major platforms and inspire a mass digital exodus of users. As it concerns search engines, the censorship campaigns and information warfare conducted via search engines has already rendered their use functionally useless except for trivial concerns. Continued campaigns of digital censorship may have undesired consequences such as a renaissance of non-digital mediums and a revival of personal human interactions which cannot be readily controlled, censored, or influenced.
Psychological warfare campaigns have been repeatedly conducted with the specific aim of engineering public opinion in favor of censorship in general and government censorship in particular. These campaigns will have to be complemented with domestic covert actions and aggressive disinformation campaigns in order to create the pretense and justifications necessary for government censorship. Potentially a major operation or dedicated PSO will have to be conducted specifically to achieve the goals of establishing digital totalitarianism. This will have to be conducted with consideration of not inspiring the reversion to self-directed self-controlled methods and mediums of information sharing and communication which can bypass government control and influence.
Given the nature of these operations, the “crisis” at the core of these operations is never decisively “resolved” which justifies the permanent acceptance of novel (increasingly totalitarian) paradigms. Due to the incomplete resolution of a PSO, these operations can be viewed as being staggered with one operation overlapping with newer operations. However, in practice these types of operations have been sequential rather than staggered with distinct and separate phases of acute psychological terrorism campaigns. However, this is liable to change in the future with one acute “crisis” overlapping with another with consequent prolonged periods of “crisis” and extended campaigns of psychological terrorism.
Past PSOs have relied on blindsiding audiences with their crisis situations, however the current trend demonstrates a preference for extended pre-crisis periods of indoctrination and psychological warfare before the full initiation of the crisis situation and the initiation of campaigns of psychological terrorism. This extended pre-crisis phase portends operations that are liable to be of unprecedented scale even for the standards of PSOs. Already past PSOs have caused the deaths of millions around the world and the displacement of millions more over the course of their extensive sub-operations which has radically reshaped entire regions of the planet. The willingness of the ruling establishment to annihilate millions (if not billions) in the pursuit of their agendas should not be underestimated or misunderstood.
The reasonable expectation is a growth in the size and ambition of these types of operations until either they cease to be effective or the ruling establishment has attained sufficient totalitarian control that their use is no longer necessary. Such an eventuality of oppressive totalitarianism where subterfuge and pretense are no longer required is unfortunately closer to being a reality than most audiences realize.
The 21st century is undeniably the century of “crisis” and the Paradigm Shifting Operation in much the same way as the 20th century came to be defined by “conflict” and the weaponization of conflicts for the purposes of malignant sociopolitical transformation. How this century will proceed depends largely on international audiences themselves and their willingness to tolerate the malignant transformation of their civilizations. Given the successes of the weaponization of conflict in the 20th century and the relative enthusiastic cooperation of audiences with the agendas of the 20th century and their tolerance of the human rights violations and atrocities that were committed, it appears unlikely that the 21st century will yield a radical departure from the established trends.
This historical cooperation of audiences was achieved due to the stunning successes of propaganda campaigns which engineered the consent of millions around the world for agendas audiences poorly understood. This historical pattern is likely to continue especially given the incredible advances that have been made in propaganda and psychological warfare during the later half of the 20th century and beyond. The application of these advanced techniques is standard practice in mass media output with the oblivious consumption by the masses of vast quantities of propaganda being the norm in the digital age. As such, beyond a limited counter-culture comprised of highly informed dissidents literate in the dark arts of psychological warfare, the acquiescence of general audiences to malignant transformations is to be expected.